Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

headlights out

adam_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU manual
last night i went to drive away from my girlfriends place, her street has quite a few street lights in it, but when i got into the darkness i noticed that my headlights werent working, then they came on. Now tonight they just arent working at all. parkers and highbeam still going.

Now i checked the relay and all the fuses, they seem to be all ok. ohh so are the bulbs. Im getting power to the relay as i checked with a lead light. But what im wondering is, could there be a loose connection after the relay somewhere? is the headlight switch before or after the relay?

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
you checked the relays underneath the bonnet right? From what i can recall there are separate relays for each headlight, so it doesnt sound like a relay problem. The headlight switch is before the realy, but a relay has a trigger (eg from the switch, + and -), a power (eg from the battery) and an output (+ to the headlight). Check all of these

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Now are you saying that low beam doesnt work at all? Does it work when you have hi beam on? I found that my low beam wouldnt work, but when i flicked to high beam they all worked. I followed the wiring diagram and found it to be the fog light relay. Even though I dont have fog lights, the ground from the low beam goes through the fog light relay. Did you check the fuses inside the car?

adam_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU manual
yeah checked the fuses inside under the steering column, didnt have a diagram stuck on anymore but i checked them all.
and yeah the relays and fuses under the bonnet, im pretty sure there was only one for headlight, and yeah you can hear it click when you turn the lights on. switched it over with the high beam relay, highbeams still worked and still no headlights.

As for looking if the lowbeams are working when the highbeams are on, im not really much of a fan looking into the bulb when the highbeams are on. The filaments are in the one bulb arent they? plus theres an extra highbeam bulb isnt there, the ones closest to the grill?

But i'll definately check out that fog light relay, i dont have fog lights either.

adam_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU manual
ohh legend, just went out to check it out, tried the lowbeams again and they still werent going, so i switched the fog lamp relay with the LP. CHK relay (not really sure what that is but was the same 5 pin relay) and yeah they worked, switched the relays back and they still worked so im thinking maybe terminal tension of that fog lamp relay, or a sticky switch inside the relay if thats possible. But seems to be all fine for now anyways

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Clad to help. Go and get a new relay from holden mate. The old one is not clicking over properly. Because you bumped it around it will work again for a little while, but will soon fail again and cause you problems. Holden is good for these 5 pin relays. Just tell them its the fog light relay off a VR (VS's dont use the 5 pins). I think they are like $15, which is a decent price.