Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

when do u think about rebuild??

stylin_vr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF fairmont (when im allowed)
im used to new small cars so getting a car that can handle a few more k's is confusing.. should i start thinkin about rebuildin seeing as i cracked 250,000kms??? some ppl are either tryin 2 scare me or warn me (i aint sure!) by tellin me that my head gasket will go n stuff like that.. :my: dont feel like experiencin that thanku very much!!!:confused:

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Tell me something... Is the engine blowing blue smoke out of the exhaust? Are you burning an excessive amount of oil in between changes? When you check the coolant does it look kinda sludgy or milky? If the answer is "no" then you're pretty safe. If it's been well looked after just service it regularly and it should last you a lot longer.

stylin_vr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
blue smoke???? part of me wishes it did!! the coolant does look a bit suspicious... kinda resembles a rusty gross(hard 2 explain!) colour

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
stylin_vr2 said:
blue smoke???? part of me wishes it did!! the coolant does look a bit suspicious... kinda resembles a rusty gross(hard 2 explain!) colour

When was the last time you did the coolant?

Coolant from holden is green and think they say change it every 2-3 years. Thats not to say red coolant is a problem if its maintained...

My car is just short of 250k and I have no intention of lining it up for a recon yet. Keep it serviced and she'll do right by ya.

Clacks

Edit: I'm also pretty sure that the 3800s don't (easily) do head gaskets so don't be paranoid about that...just maintain the coolant.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Another thing to keep in mind is the transmission. How is that holding up? You dont want to pay for the rebuild only to have the transmission go and spend the extra $1700 to fix that up. But if you look after your commy you can get alot of kms out of her.

stylin_vr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
well for starters my commys a HIM!! lol n i havent done the coolant since i had him (8 mths nearly) ye i had my transmission serviced or whateva in feb due to killa leak of tranny fluid!! think its good now thou! good to no the head gasket wont easily go on me thou!! thanx for that!!! should i maybe be gettin some1 to do my coolant for me??

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
stylin_vr2 said:
well for starters my commys a HIM!! lol n i havent done the coolant since i had him (8 mths nearly) ye i had my transmission serviced or whateva in feb due to killa leak of tranny fluid!! think its good now thou! good to no the head gasket wont easily go on me thou!! thanx for that!!! should i maybe be gettin some1 to do my coolant for me??

Hehe sorry about that :)

Its not hard to do a coolant flush. I suggest if want to do things yourself then get a service manual. Of course if HE is your pride and joy and aren't too confident, then I suggest getting it professionally flushed especially if you don't know the history. Holden coolant is $40 for 6 litres and it needs be mixed with 6 litres of distilled water. I recommend a mechanic that will use Holden coolant.

Might need to run some water through though to get all coolant out if you mix coolant brands/colours.

Clacks

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
Clacker said:
Coolant from holden is green and think they say change it every 2-3 years. Thats not to say red coolant is a problem if its maintained...

o so wrong, colant should be changed every 12months as it starts to turn back to christal form after 12months, and will lose the anti boil and freeze propertys,
same gos for red coolant