Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Ecotec problem

jianakn

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY2015 VF Redline manual
I have a 97 vs acclaim. It got hot and when sorting it out found that the compression on number 3 piston was 2/3 of the reading on the other five.
Took the car to Holden and a few other mechanics, had it on a computer and they all agree the compression is down on the 3 pot. Been tested for a faulty head gasket with compressed air in cylinder by holden. Have previously tested the radiator and the dye came up showing a leak into the cooling system. used copper seal on it and now after all this I am no closer to working out why the compression is down in one pot. Thought of occasional sticky rings. Thought maybe copper seal has "fixed " the leak but it still does not explain the difference as comopression remains the same. Valves have been checked with air test by holden. Car runs fine. Any Ideas on this one would be greatly appreciated

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
A simple test for testing rings or valves is to squirt some engine oil onto the cylinder wall, if compression comes radically up the rings are stuffed / broken, if your compression only comes up slightly it's dodgy valves.

Simple.

Dont squirt it onto the top of the piston that will do squat.

Bubbles in the cooling system kinda answers your question anyway, same as oil in the water, loss of water = welch plugs / head gasket yada yada.

Good old Redex will unstick rings NP, if ya can find it.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You say "car runs fine"......unless it is showing obvious signs such as lack of power, missing at idle or under load, using oil and/or water or is hard to start, then I'd be inclined to not worry about it. Simply forget that number 3 is down a bit. If you pull the head it will have to be skimmed and with new gaskets etc plus maybe a valve grind you are looking at $300 for or up to $800 for a mechanic to do. If it's rings (most probable) then you are looking at bigger $$$$ which will probably end up with you reconditioning the whole engine. Its fine now ....investigate or dismantle further and you may be opening a can of worms. Good Luck.

jianakn

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY2015 VF Redline manual
Thanks. I am into the drive till it dies theory myself. Costs about 800 for a wrecker motor. 250 for reco heads from repco per head then gaskets/ head bolts on top. Reco or rebuild in Brisbane is between 2800 - 4000 depending on the scam they pitch at you. Amazing mechanics we have up here - all have a way of adding "xtras" onto price.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I dont like getting ripped by them either, but they are just trying to make a living like everyone else. Just do as much as you can for yourself and you will be better off than most people.