Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No Fuel??

Uziman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E V6
I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but my wifes VS seemed to run out of petrol the other day after she parked it at a carpark. The fuel gauge still read 1/4 of a tank and the low fuel alarm didn't sound, but the car didn't start. I topped it up with 10L of petrol and bag started first go. Fuel guage read 1/2 ?!...
It just did the same again in our drive way, still reads 1/4 and won't start. I just managed to start it by cranking the engine and rocking the car..

Has anyone encounted this problem at all?

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
dodgey fuel gauge mate..

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Wouldn't be the crank angle sensor (CAS) starting to fail? They seem to fail when hot and then when they cool down they work again. The time taken to refuel may be enough to allow the CAS to cool enough.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
maybe the fuel sender is getting stuck at a point? might pay to drain the tank and pop it out for a look? [ might need a new gasket for it if it breaks during removal? ]

Uziman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E V6
Thanks for the replies. I don't think it would be the crank angle sensor as the car has time to cool sitting in our driveway before we go and find out it won't start.
I too thought it was the fuel sender which it still could be giving me the incorect reading, but the car not starting with fuel in there has got me stummped.
Could it be crap blocking the fuel pump and when i rocked the car dislogged some of it???

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Maybe the fuel pump is beginning to fail. Make sure you zero the odometer next time you fill up so you have another idea of how much fuel is left. I think the time honored method of getting the pump going again is to thump the bottom of the fuel tank - this rocks the pump and can start it up again. It could also be the fuel pump relay. The fact that adding fuel has helped it start may be coincidental. Good luck in finding the fault as it sounds like one which will make your wife want a new car!

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
How many kms do ya get through before the guage moves ? if your doing 150 or so before it passes full on the guage from a physically full tank either the sendor or guage is likely stuffed as mentioned.

Likely the sender if anyone has done previous work on the pump / sender unit, safe bet.

Uziman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E V6
Well, the VS spat out some diagnostic codes at me tonight... code 46 and 47 crank angle sensor. So Hako, i think you might be right.
Are these sensors expensive to buy? I know the harmonic balancer is a cow to remove, has anyone had this sensor fixed and what did it cost?

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Uziman said:
Well, the VS spat out some diagnostic codes at me tonight... code 46 and 47 crank angle sensor. So Hako, i think you might be right.
Are these sensors expensive to buy? I know the harmonic balancer is a cow to remove, has anyone had this sensor fixed and what did it cost?

Yeah Code 47 is the Crank Angle sensor alright, just had mine done 3 months ago. About $85 for the part, and $40 to fit it, at the local Holden dealer. Car has been fine since.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Do a search on this forum - I think they're under $100 but the problem is cracking the nut on the harmonic balancer and then pulling it off - not impossible but difficult. Some people also reckon you should take a long hard look at the harmonic balancer at the same time as they also fail at about the same time. Any signs of the rubber cracking indicates imminent problems. Good luck.