Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engineers certificate

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
to legally have rims over the rules specified by your state you need a mod plate...to basically say that the conversion has been done properly (legally) and let the state transport (whatever it is called where ever you live) know your vehicle is modified on the record.
its a bit different from state to state, but a mod plate can usually be done by a mechanic (sort of like a safety cert.)...in cases where body work has been altered or suspension seriously changed to suit/fit the rims (ie, mini tubs etc.)
the mechanic will usually have to sublet the inspection to a trained engineer who will sign off on whether the car is safe and roadworthy with the modifications done.
as i said, there's different rules and guidelines for each state (which is a pain in the ass) so getting in contact with your state transport before you start the work is a smart idea.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
everything cost $$$...not to mention the on goin cost of keeping rubber on 20" rims...thats why i got 18"s, i can manange that, there was a $1k jump from 18" to 19" rims when i was looking....and that increase was mainly the rubber.
but if your keen for 20"s or 19"s then go for it, just as long as you realise its an expensive choice.