Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advancing the timing

gibbonsVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
hi everyone, i am about to get the timing done in my vs v6 and was thinking about getting it advanced. what exactly is advancing the timing? and does it make a difference perfomance wise on an otherwise stock car??? thanks

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
gibbonsVS said:
hi everyone, i am about to get the timing done in my vs v6 and was thinking about getting it advanced. what exactly is advancing the timing? and does it make a difference perfomance wise on an otherwise stock car??? thanks
Not somethin that can be easily changed like on the 5.0, it would be something that would have to be programed in to the memcal if possible.
AirStrike :air:

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
What excatly r u getting done??
R u changing the timing chain?

As Airstrike said, u can't change it easily. Not as simple as turning a dizzy. . .

gibbonsVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
i'm just getting the car serviced and the timimg corrected at the same time cause its been a while since it was last done im told.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
The computer controls the timing.
There is nothing they can do.
Service is just changing things these days, plugs, filters, fluids etc
And what ever else come up.

There is very little else they have to do.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
gibbonsVS said:
i'm just getting the car serviced and the timimg corrected at the same time cause its been a while since it was last done im told.
Its not a dizzy controlled spark, there is nothing to correct.
AirStrike :air:

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
If you have a look on your left hand side suspension tower, there is a label that says that the timing, base idle speed, and air fuel ratios are non adjustable, and are all controlled by the ECU, therefore no means of adjustment is provided.

One thing you could do is reset the ECU, by disconnecting the fuse or battery for 20 mins or so, and then go for a drive. This reverts the ECU back to the factory settings.... which may have been slightly adapted due to different conditions over time.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Harvs82 said:
If you have a look on your left hand side suspension tower, there is a label that says that the timing, base idle speed, and air fuel ratios are non adjustable, and are all controlled by the ECU, therefore no means of adjustment is provided.

One thing you could do is reset the ECU, by disconnecting the fuse or battery for 20 mins or so, and then go for a drive. This reverts the ECU back to the factory settings.... which may have been slightly adapted due to different conditions over time.

only some basic fuelling & idle speed settings are learnt by the computer.
Rob

gibbonsVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
oh ok i understand now.
thanks

Last edited:

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Live with what ya have, if it aint within spec one or more sensors are stuffed, not to mention the ECU that runs the whole show.

Idle speed is set by both the TPS sensor in combination with the the a/f valve on the t/b, and a few other goodies, if ya want to play with dizzys and tune a carby, trade in the commo for something with em fitted.

It either works or it will automatically search for a great spot to park itself, usually on a deserted road at night with no moon / no torch where your mobile has no service, don't ya just love technology ? take a pillow... as the tool box is nearly useless.