Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs 5 litre hard to start when warm

96VSSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
Hey how ya goin everyone

I have a 96 vs ss and lately it has been hard to start when warm, it will turn over but not fire like it has a lack of fuel or something... i checked the error codes and it came up with the one that says everythings fine but another one with one slight pause and six flashes... also to get it started i have to pump accelerator a bit and once started it runs for 5 seconds or so like its goin to stall and puffs a little black smoke out of exhaust. after that though it runs sweet.

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers

Tim

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Could be the coolant temp sensor which i think is code 16.

N

nzvsss

hard start

hi mate . exactly the same thing happend to mine . try the temp sensor it has a blueish plug on it and lives right up the front of the engine sort of just under the heater hoses . in new zealand they are $22 new . MAKE sure you get the VS one not a thermo one of a vr . the sensor when faulty sends a signal to the emc to say its cold and tries to do a cold start this is your black smoke . good luck .dave

MOTIV8

Cybernaut
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mountain Bike
Hey how ya goin everyone

I have a 96 vs ss and lately it has been hard to start when warm, it will turn over but not fire like it has a lack of fuel or something... i checked the error codes and it came up with the one that says everythings fine but another one with one slight pause and six flashes... also to get it started i have to pump accelerator a bit and once started it runs for 5 seconds or so like its goin to stall and puffs a little black smoke out of exhaust. after that though it runs sweet.

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers

Tim

I have a VS Clubsport and mine would start no problem when cold however once warmed up and shut down it would only restart with a bit of throttle. It would turn over for a few seconds and then cough and splutter when it did fire and blow a fair bit of black smoke that smelt of fuel. After that it would run fine until the next shutdown which made it a hassle and embarrassing to go the the DVD shop, supermarket etc etc.
Anyway today I replaced the coolant temp sensor and what a difference it made. I expect my fuel economy will improve too now that I am not dumping unburnt fuel and running too rich.
Car starts no problems hot or cold now.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
I have a VS Clubsport and mine would start no problem when cold however once warmed up and shut down it would only restart with a bit of throttle. It would turn over for a few seconds and then cough and splutter when it did fire and blow a fair bit of black smoke that smelt of fuel. After that it would run fine until the next shutdown which made it a hassle and embarrassing to go the the DVD shop, supermarket etc etc.
Anyway today I replaced the coolant temp sensor and what a difference it made. I expect my fuel economy will improve too now that I am not dumping unburnt fuel and running too rich.
Car starts no problems hot or cold now.

I am sure he fixed by now since his post was on 17-06-2006, 06:30 PM.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Maybe...but MOTIV8 has provided a solution to the problem whereas the OP never provided any feedback in the thread.

At least if someone with a similar problem is searching they will find a solution. Better than starting a new thread too.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
Maybe...but MOTIV8 has provided a solution to the problem whereas the OP never provided any feedback in the thread.

At least if someone with a similar problem is searching they will find a solution. Better than starting a new thread too.

Post 3 more or less gave the same answer :)

MOTIV8

Cybernaut
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mountain Bike
Post 3 more or less gave the same answer :)

Thanks for the critique,

All I did was post my issue and what I did to solve the issue so that the original poster and anyone else with similar symptoms could have an idea of one possible cure.

I just hope that any people who have a similar problem can maybe find this thread and see all the options available. It would have been nice for the original poster to come back and inform us what was wrong and how they remedied the situation.