Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

custom cai

SKITZ6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
i am playing around with the idea for an all alloy cai, filter box and piping. hoping it will help keep air intake temps down. any thoughts on the idea?

BadSeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Berlina Wagon
aluminium can heat up very easy might not be as good for air intake.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Well mate, honestly I dont think its worth it. The speed the air travels through the pipes means the air temperature isnt really affected by the cars heating. A standard cai is effective and is simple. Some people have taken it further, by going from the bottom of the CAI box with some pipe and taking air from lower down. A fair bit of work, do a search if you want more info on that. Some people have also put aluminium on the bottom of their CAI, but this will only stop the plastic itself heating up, nothing to do with the air temperature. Seriously, unless its for looks, alloys or anything of that nature are not going to make any difference.

SKITZ6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
yeh i had a thought it mite not be worth the trouble. wont even do it for looks now, mite make the air hotter if the alloy heats up. thanks for the help.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Thats true too. I dont know much about the properties of different materials, but I would have thought plastic was a far better insulator than most metals.

SKITZ6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
just got an alloy welder at work to play around with. still trying to find out what the alloy will do. could still be a goer....

VR_Project

Reaction score
Members Ride
MWS Improved VS Ute
schweet, let us know how it goes...