Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your thoughts: rebuild or transplant

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
Well, I've known for a while that my engine is unwell, and I want to start work before it dies completely, but I'm stuck on a choice: rebuild the buick (similar to V6VENGANCE pre-turbo) or transplant (looking at an L67 as an example) both would cost around the same.
both have pros and cons, such as rebuilding the buick will be a good learning experience for me (a real big pro to me) but without adding a turbo and therefore changing the specs for the rebuild, there's not much more power can be extracted from the old taxi engine.
before I continue, this isn't about power... yet, and I won't go a V8, to be honest, I'm over 8's as everyone here has them.
now I love the idea of a juiced up L67, and am considering it greatly, and getting it to work isn't really a problem.
The problem is this - a rebuilt buick will be a massive educating experience for me, but at max power N/A, it roughly equals the pwoer of the L67 untouched, but there's nothing to learn from using a pre-built motor, but it's quite easy to get more horses.....
and it goes round in circles from here
learning curve or short work with headroom for the power bug later on...

Your thoughts???

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
tramsplant. plenty of potential there as you said

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Nah, rebuild, more reliable for the future. Dont get anymore power, no need, just use quality tough parts and you'll be happy with the change. If you rebuild the buick you learn a **** load and youll have a tough 6. Simple. Transplants will end up in the same way they all do.... **** not working.... meh, is rebuild the 6.

Whats the cost like? bout 2K or we talking 3-4K?

aZk.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
why not do both...and transplant an ecotec that you've rebuilt?
you can get alot further with a well put together ecotec than if you did the same to a buick.
just an idea anyway, put some quality parts into it...have it bored out and ported...blueprint and balance it and you have a pretty stout v6.
i know a guy who just rebuilt his ecotec to stock specs and had it blueprinted...turned over 162kw on the dyno, a fair bit more than holden claimed the ecotec made stock.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
i'm with sircruisealot, rebuild something else and put it in there. you can learn a lot from putting your own engine together. i reckon no-one can fully understand their car until they rebuild their own motor. as everyone else has said use quality parts and you wont have any problems later on.

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
plus if u plan 2 rebuild wat u can do is get the block shaven to raise the compression ratio. this will giv the engine quite a boost in power, high compression ratios r one of the reasons why hondas VTEC engines get high kilowatts without turbos. go to C.O.M.E racing and ask them about it they'll be able to help u with it if ur interested.

try something different and show ppl wat N/A power really is

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
SaGe N/A power costs more than blown power.
Like I said, power isn't the objective yet. I'm leaving that foir my project car
cruisy/magi I do agree with you but who makes rebuild kits for the ecotec? only one I know of is COME's stroker and I'd rather not spend 4k on parts alone to only have 220RWKW. (here's where you give me idea on who to talk to)
azk - if I were to transplant it would be either an ecotec or L67, so things not working wouldn't be a hassle, it'd need to be 100% before it sees tarmac and there's always someone who can help if I have troubles.
All I want out of this car is a clean streeter with a bit of punch - it's not gonna be a weapon
AAARRRGGGHHH IT'S JUST TOO HARD TO DECIDE!

Last edited:

vs-s-pak-ute

Cowboys From Hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-pack Ute
rebuild the buick if ya lookin for somethin reliable yet have a little bit of oomf, my neighbour did his for about 3 grand, he put in some stronger parts etc and it goes a **** load better