Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating problem - HELP

C

Cooldude1983

Hi Guys,

Got a problem with my VS, she's overheating. Basically when I stop for longer than a minute or two the temparature guage heads for the "HOT" end. The guage hasn't got further up to the H yet, but has got about 4/5 (80%) of the way. It never usually never goes over half way. The overheating has been happening over the last week or two, but only intermiddently.

I have checked the coolant levels and are fine.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be?

Cheers for your help.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
is your thermo fan coming on?try turning your air con onto the 1 position. that will make the thermo fan turn on. it could also be your thermostat not opening.

W

Wolves

check your hose joints too, like the ''T'' joints they're all plastic ****, they dont last long you can replase them easily tho

C

Cooldude1983

maginoodle said:
is your thermo fan coming on?try turning your air con onto the 1 position. that will make the thermo fan turn on. it could also be your thermostat not opening.

Thanks Maginoodle. Checked the thermo fan is working. Now to check the t-joints...

Any more suggestions on what it could be?

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Knackered water pump ?
Blockage in your radiator core ?

Best thing to do is get it flushed out for starters... there's threads on here how to flush you radiator if you do a search...

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
If you take out your thermostat and put it in a glass of booiling water, its should kinda pop open, if not, replace it

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
This may be normal - mine, along with a lot of other listers, does occassionally go to 80% and then the electric fan will go to high speed and the temp will drop rapidly. You may be noticing it now as you will not have the aircon on so the electric fan will not be doing the extra cooling. Without the aircon switched on you have to wait for the coolant sensor to turn the fan on before the temp will drop....and it's when the car is not moving that the temp will rise rapidly. Hopefully it is normal.

C

Cooldude1983

hako said:
This may be normal - mine, along with a lot of other listers, does occassionally go to 80% and then the electric fan will go to high speed and the temp will drop rapidly. You may be noticing it now as you will not have the aircon on so the electric fan will not be doing the extra cooling. Without the aircon switched on you have to wait for the coolant sensor to turn the fan on before the temp will drop....and it's when the car is not moving that the temp will rise rapidly. Hopefully it is normal.

Cheers Hako. I did think that may be the case -so it's a possibility. However, checked the coolant again this afternoon after work, radiator was basically empty. So it would seem the coolant is going somewhere. Will fill radiator and check for leaks under the car.

Considering maybe blown headgasket -maybe not. Can't see any water in the oil, but coolant is a bit frothy in the radiator. Coolant must be going somewhere...

Any thoughts...

sam__kent

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
Going through the same with my VR auto. Coolant level drops A LOT. Thermo fan works, new radiator cap and thermostat. Also, cooling system has been "pressure tested", flushed and new coolant put in. Since all that, I have put in almost 4L of distilled water in <100km...

Make sure you let us know how you go.

As for my thoughts, I shall try some Bars or something like that - if there is a leak then the problem should go away for a while. If the radiator is full of crap, then things won't get any worse, and if the water pump is on the way out, then it won't do anything there either.

Only flaw I can see in this plan is what if the Bars doesn't stop the leak? I have not noticed any coolant around the inlet manifold or anything. Any thoughts appreciated

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Cooldude1983 said:
Cheers Hako. I did think that may be the case -so it's a possibility. However, checked the coolant again this afternoon after work, radiator was basically empty. So it would seem the coolant is going somewhere. Will fill radiator and check for leaks under the car.

Considering maybe blown headgasket -maybe not. Can't see any water in the oil, but coolant is a bit frothy in the radiator. Coolant must be going somewhere...

Any thoughts...
Your first post indicated coolant level was fine, however..... Have a look under the waterpump for a trail of dried coolant as it may be the pump seal leaking which is common. Frothy coolant is not unusual when level is really low as waterpump is pumping coolant and air. I always find it easier to find leaks - water or oil, at night with a torch and with the engine running. Coolant leaks are especially difficult as the coolant evaporates rapidly leaving no tell-tale traces. Also check the heater tap near the master cylinder as this corrodes and leaks. Good luck.