Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Accessory belt tensioner

Holden4fun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
Hi,

The small pulley on the spring loaded belt tensioner seems to be getting a bit noisy on my '94 VR. It is the one with the bolt on it near the power steering pulley i.e the one you put a ring spanner on to unload the belt tension when changing the belt. Is this easy to change. Do you just buy a new pulley and bearing and is it held in place by the hex bolt? That is unbolt the old one and bolt up the mew one?

Thanks for your help in advance.

MC

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Basically yes - turn the bolt you put the ring spanner on the opposite way (its left hand thread) and the bolt will screw out and then slip the pulley and bearing off. Pretty simple and cheap insurance. From an accessory place it should be about $30 for a new pulley and bearing.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
just a suggestion... replace the belt at the same time

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
just remember to change the nylon washer for the metal one when you get your new pretesioner.... otherwise you will have another broken pulley within a few hours

Holden4fun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
Thankyou for your good advice. It is great to be able to have people around who are are prepared to share advice and experience.

Boona15 said "just remember to change the nylon washer for the metal one when you get your new pretesioner" - does this mean it comes with a nylon washer and I should use the metal one from the original or purchase a new metal one?

Thanks again.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
no the nylon washer is already on the tensioner that you ahve on your engine, if you get your new tensioner it comes with a metal washer

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I didn't think you were getting a new pretensioner...just the pulley and bearing (which will be metal and not plastic/nylon like original factory ones).

Holden4fun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
Ok got the picture - Thanks guys. I appreciate your help.

MC