Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No dash lights in VR

sam__kent

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
All the dash lights went outon me, so I replaced the 5 amp fuse below the dash. This lasted almost a minute so I guess there is a short sometwhere.

Is this a common problem? Has someone solved this one before?

The car is a Berlina and has a dead light globe near the fuel guage (darker than the other gauges). Could this have something to do with it?

I hate queer-trader stuff, so if someone has any hints before I go hunting behind the dash, that would be awesome :)

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
ive come accross this at work if you replace all the golbes in the dash then replace the fuse it should work it did for me

not_just_any_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
see if the tail light fuse is gone. i had a exactly the same:bang: problem pulled the whole f$%#ing dash apart. just to find it was the "tail light fuse" wtf.

5600RPM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8
One of the globes in my dash dosent work (the speedo needle) and its not causing me any problems

Holden4fun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
I had a similar problem after I had some work done on the centre console. They slipped a wire which shorted. Bit unusual but i would look for other things first - like fuses. Pull the likely ones and use a multimeter to check continuity is what i generally so. I have found that lifting fuses and replacing has worked also - bit if grime on contacts.

Holden4fun

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
5600RPM said:
One of the globes in my dash dosent work (the speedo needle) and its not causing me any problems

Thats because you have a blown bulb, not a short. If you want to replace the bulb do a search on 'instrument cluster'. I made a how-to guide on how to pull it out. From there the bulb simply twists out.

-CalaisJay-

SSJET
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS - 300hp
yep my fuel gauge light went then a week later they all went!

so ill have a go at replacing the bulbs this weekend see how it goes!