Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

loud rattle now car wont start

E

executor

i just got my vr on the road about two hours of driving it she started making a slight rattle so i limped it home. i stopped at a servo and when i went 2 start it, the rattle was real bad. i got the car home now it wont start at all. no engine lights came on. what could b wrong.:bang:

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
check ur alternator take off your fan belt and spin the alt if it rattles thats the problem.... i am assuming that the reason for no engine lights is the because of a flat battery.... Ive had 4 alternators go in 6 months 3 of them made a wicked rattles from the bearings busting.... first one i thought i shattered a piston till i took off the fan belt.....

E

executor

ill try that. my battery is brand new and has full charge. if its not that any other ideas?

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
when you say wont start at all what does this mean. will it wind over, can you hear the fuel pump working, are the warning lights coming on etc. It is hard to help diagnose a problem when you dont have all the facts

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
was the power affected by this rattle?...what where you doing before it started making the noise?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Sounds like the harmonic balancer has shat itself.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
hako said:
Sounds like the harmonic balancer has shat itself.

i dunno...the harmonic balancer makes more of a "clunk...clunk...clunk" sound in time with the belt movement, not really a rattle. plus unless its seized up or the belt has come off you'd still be able to start it.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
sircruisealotVS said:
i dunno...the harmonic balancer makes more of a "clunk...clunk...clunk" sound in time with the belt movement, not really a rattle. plus unless its seized up or the belt has come off you'd still be able to start it.
Is it possible for the harmonic balancer whilst doing its wobbles, to come in contact with the CAS or the CAS wiring and basically destroy it? - if so then the car would not start. (this is really a loooong shot!)

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
yeah, i wasnt trying to dispute what you said or anything hako...i know you know your stuff.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
sircruisealotVS said:
yeah, i wasnt trying to dispute what you said or anything hako...i know you know your stuff.
Actually, I probably don't know what I'm talking about as I've never had to replace a CAS and only try to throw in all possibilities. Like you, I'm just a Commodore owner who enjoys his vehicle and will, if possible, help others in trouble. (sound like a mission statement!) And fwiw, I've always found your posts to be great. Regards.
ps..just heard a noise behind me outside the screen door - croaky noise - turned outside light on and its a 1.4m tree snake with a mouth full of green frog saying its last goodbye!