Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drive belt tensioner

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
Hi Guys and Gals,

Got a problem with my drive belt tensioner I think. When the car was inspected by RACQ they said the "fan belt tensioner" was on it's way out (second hand info). I think he might have meant "drive belt tensioner" because I cannot find any refernce in Gregories to a fan belt tensioner only drive belt. Does that sound right? Also has anyone had this replaced or replaced it themselves. How much did it cost (parts + labour)?

Thanks in advance,

Spaced

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
it has a few names, depending on who you talk to.
Ecotec only has one belt as far as I know, so it can only be the "fan belt" tensioner or whatever you label it.
If it's the tensioner arm, you're up for quite a bit of $ for a new one, but they can often be found at a wrecker.
If it's just the pully, then it's around $30 for the pulley, and same again for a new belt

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I think you need to get more information from the horses mouth - if the drive belt tensioner was "on its way out" just how did they arrive at this conclusion. Reason I ask this is because when I got my roadworthy the mechanic said the same and his reasoning was that the wear indicating arrow on the tensioner was past its limit. This doesn't mean the tensioner is on its way out - it means the serpentine belt/drive/fan belt is due for replacement because it is stretched past its limit.
Hopefully that is all thats wrong.