Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering Issue *tricky one*

brockytt

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Acclaim
Hey guys

I've done heaps of searching and found some useful info but can't find the answer to this one....

I'm getting a VIBRATION AND GROANING NOISE in my steering.... this ONLY HAPPENS WHEN THE WHEEL IS TURNED TO THE LEFT. Seems to be most noticable if wheel is only slightly turned to the left (vearing left while driving). The VIBRATION can be felt throughthe steering wheel.

I've tried it with the front of the vehicle jacked up.... and there was NO noise or vibration

I've also tried lubrication the rubber grommet in the firewall... but this hasn't helped

Is the rack stuffed? Could it be a bent steering arm??

Any help or ideas would be appreciated

brockytt

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Acclaim
UPDATE: Does't make much difference I think..... but the NOISE and VIBRATION actually only happens when I turn to the RIGHT (not left as previously described)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Do either of your front tyres show any signs of cupping/scuffing or unevenwear and have you had to add power steering fluid lately?

adam_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU manual
yeah top up the power steering fluid and see if that goaning goes away

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
double check all bushes and wheel alignment?

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
Is this something that has always been there?
If so it may be what is commonly known as shudder. This can only be fixed by trying a different valve and sleeve or pinion valve and sleeve assembly which due to production tolerances will have a different valve gain. This is very much a trial and error issue and would probably be best fixed by getting an exchange steering gear. Before you did this you should find out if the pump is up to scratch in terms of the flow rate. The cure method will also be the same if the gear has done a lot of K's and this has gradually come in though there is added possibility of worn suspension ball joints. The problem is caused by a servo feed back issue where if you put some torque onto the steering wheel it energises the valve. The rack then moves but slightly overshoots causing the valve to close but you are still turning the wheel or holding a specified torque (in the case of goind around a sweeping bend), which cause the valve to be re-energised and so the process starts over. The frequency is around 12~19 Hz. The springing rate of the sytem has to be changed but may just shift the point of oscillation to a different load.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Try swapping your tyres from front to back - both sides. It is possible that due to misalignment one side of a front tyre has worn down on one side and when you turn right it does "something or other". Or it could be a tierod end that has excessive play when angled a certain way.
The scenario Don Sutton describes is probably more correct as Don knows what he is talking about, however, the cheaper and easier option (in my opinion only) is to first of all eliminate all other possibilities before going into the unknown.

brockytt

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Acclaim
Thanks for all the suggestions guys...

SOLVED: Turned out to be the front Right wheel beering... was only making a louder noise when i turned right (hence the reason I thought itmight be something to do witht he poser steering)

Replaced the hub with a second hand item from the wreckers ($65) and she's as good as new.