Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR brake upgrade

Centurion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore V6 3.8lt Manual
Hey just put some vy brakes on my VR just wondering if a VT 1inch master and booster will fit straight on?

Anyone upgraded theirs?

thnx.

J

jc58nc

You have to modify the Vr booster firewall bracket and it fits OK

1st picture is the Vr & Vt booster side by side, the Vr has the extension bracket which has to be modified to fit the Vt. From the front face of the bracket to the rod hole center is 114mm on the Vr.

2nd picture the booster bolt pattern

3rd picture I fabricated a base to fit the Vt booster and with a shortened and slightly reshaped Vr bracket setup the Vt booster position.
The bracket was placed in position in the car and the booster aligned next to the strut tower, the rod length was checked to the pedal pin and a new support bracket was made for the strut tower to hold the master cylinder.
Then the bracket was scribed top and bottom and taken out again and the final weld was done.

NOTE:- The bracket is NOT square to the firewall, it is angled slightly towards the engine,
I found the original Vr setup was this way as well.

4th picture Vt booster and master cylinder ready to bolt on and maintaining the 114mm from the bracket to the rod hole center.

5th picture the Booster/Master Cylinder installed, please note it sits lower than the original Vr combo as I paid particular attension to getting the alignment as close as possible to a straight line from the brake pedal rod pin to the strut tower bracket and centered on the firewall hole.

Attachments

• Vr & Vu Side by Side.jpg
    Vr & Vu Side by Side.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 1,621
  • Booster bracket bolt pattern.jpg
    Booster bracket bolt pattern.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,880
  • Vu Bracket fabrication.jpg
    Vu Bracket fabrication.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 1,950
  • Vu Bracket & Rod.jpg
    Vu Bracket & Rod.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,552
  • Vu Booster finished.jpg
    Vu Booster finished.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 1,773

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Ive done a few of them ....mine fitted perfectly with the angle like it was factory....when I made the bracket I shyed away from trusting any single weld totally for strength I bent the original bracket and made sure the 4 booster mounting holes went through both sections of steel while maintaining the original angle.
Also I used the earlier model silencer filter cover ( you can use the one from the booster from your car just cut the square section off the bottom of it) the foam goes up flush with the bracket near the 2 firewall mounting studs as it seals right and you wont get any noise coming through into the cabin from the engine....I also used the vs resevoir and so had to drill a new mounting hole in the cylinder webing for it. The second pict shows the vt resevoir before I changed it to the vs one

Attachments

• hole comp.jpg
    hole comp.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 3,386
  • vt master.jpg
    vt master.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 5,160
Last edited:
J

jc58nc

payne said:
how much did it cost to get the brake upgrade fitted?
$120 for the booster and master cylinder from the wreckers, I did the rest myself but it should be able to be done in under 3 hours including bleeding the brakes.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Centurion said:
Hey just put some vy brakes on my VR just wondering if a VT 1inch master and booster will fit straight on?

Anyone upgraded theirs?

thnx.

you should be able to get a 1" master cylinder for the VR, i've got one on my VH which is a direct replacement for the standard 15/16" master cylinder, ask your local wrecker or go to repco and go through their parts catalogues:thumbsup:

kiwiclub

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport
VR / VS to VT Brakes

Team,

I have a VS and I have all the VT bits to do this upgrade. My question is 'If I put VT Twin Pot calipers on the front, fit VT Master Cylinder and booster... How will this affect Rear brake Bias? Would I also need to fit VT Rear Calipers?
Cheers

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
No I didnt and I didnt have any bias issues just noticed straight away the brakes are much better wet or dry .. with stock rear vr/s brakes apart from good pads ...works a treat and has for many years