Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying VR Calais

SAR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina, VZ BT1
hey, im looking at buying a VR V6 Calais, are there any common faults in VR's i should be wary of when looking at one? Any help would be much appreciated. I have found one of interest so far, its only done 125,000 with one owner, blue over grey, 6 months rego, 2.66" catback with extractors and a CAI. Priced @ $5,700

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
With due respect, I'd be questioning as to why a "one owner" 12 year old Calais is fitted with a 2.66 catback with extractors and a CAI. One owners of Calais's do not do this to their low mileage cars....unless they passed it on to their son/daughter who "possibly" may have taken advantage of the extra power!!!
Tread carefully.

ilai85

Reaction score
thats true.

i picked my VR calais up with 84,000km.

the 2 things i forgot to check was:
-the cruise control. make sure it acutally is working. not hard to fix, but a pain in the arse.

-rear demister. might be a bit hard to test, but only 3 of lines work. im crooked on that.

these arent common faults, but thats what i got stooged on.

id also make sure the climate control is in full working order, and all the other typical ****.

happy shopping!

dontsailbackwards

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6 '94
Grandad's got a cat-back? sure sure. remember, just cos it says it done 125,000 don't mean it has.

Check the heads & valley gaskets - look for oil & water stains. mine are weepy but they'll just have to stay that way til it blows. Could be worse - if it was a Ford it would have blown by now.

Read up on how to check the error codes and take a paperclip with you. I looked at a VR V8 last week and it was like watching Keno when all those numbers came up. Needless t osay I passed.

Talk to a mechainc about what they regularly fix on them & look at those bits. The autos are a bit fragile etc... just search on here - there's lots of info. Good luck

Joey_21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 HBD---mmmm LS1
yeh i have had problems with the cigarett lighters and changed the alternator but have had no other problems with it over 1 year peroid and i give it an almighty thrashing LOL mines done 250000Kmhs and i seriously wood b questioning the 125kmh and if its got exhaust and extractors most likely came from a P plater which meens hes either thrashing the fuk out of it or hes taken the dash and gauges out and changed the settings back i wood be really carful and question the guy b4 u buy

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Why are you after a Calais when you got a later model Berlina ?
Your basically getting the same car...a better upgrade would be to save a bit more to get a VS II S/C... I've seen them as low as 8g now... but they are far from immaculate.