Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why do 304's sound so much better than Gen III's

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
Seriously, why do 304's sound so much better (in my mind anyway) with a sports system than the 5.7 litres? There is a definite distinguishing exhaust note between them. Is it firing order what?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
id tend to agree with that (although you can get LS1's sounding pretty damn good). while i dont really know why, i believe its because the LS1 is a more refined engine...all modern engines are as quiet as a mouse.

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
because its AUSTRALIAN

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
yep 304. way better :) (well sound that is) LS motors for speed. but yeh i dunno y. my guess is that its cause its got AUSSIE GUTS!

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
firing order makes them sound alot different in my opinion

350 chev vs 308 holdens back 20 year ago where the same
imho.

geardys

GEARDY
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 v8 ute 5sp
the firing order has got a bit to do with the sound so to has the way in which the car scavenges burnt gases (fuel), the camshaft profile, and the way in which fuel is vaporized with the air + air:fuel ratio

the old black 304 (efi) is less efficient in burning fuel then the gen 111. and the carby 308 / 304 are equaly efficient @ burning fuel but are usually tuned to run a little rich down low so that they lean out a bit higher in the rpm range. fuel is also vaporized more efficient in the carby engines.

thats some reasons why they all sound different.

Alan Shore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 ED XR6 Manual
The aussie ones have a more lower sounding grunt to them...it does sound good...especially the old ones. The chev's have a higher pitched sound to them and are more revvy than the old ones. As for which sounds better...hmmm well...I've heard some of the Gen III's that have been modded and they are soo incredibly loud and angry that you'll soon forget about the old 304 V8s. Long live technology...(even though the Gen III isn't that advanced in relative terms to other engines around the world...loll)

onsta004

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman Caprice 355ci
Nothing else matters

Holden are staggering the exhaust in the new Holden range to give them that 304/308 sound, it would be interesting to see were Holden would have ended up with the 304 in there bid to compete with the chevs, it's a dam shame they had to sell out to the seppo whims and dollars. Long Live 304,308 355's and Aussie ingenuity ............

VR_Project

Reaction score
Members Ride
MWS Improved VS Ute
yes! long live the 355! i will one day have one under the bonnet of my car :driving: ahhhh the dream