Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leaking exhaust manifold

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
Can a leaking exhaust manifold cause a rougher idle & slightly unstable revs?

i think i have a small leak in the header/manifold as when i rev with bonnet up i can smell the exhaust and can hear a light tick, like an manifold/header leak tick, not very loud, but u can onli hear on one side(left) near the manifold. Any info would be great.

Thanks
jamie

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Not sure if a simple exhaust manfold leak will cause a rougher idle etc unless the leak is caused by a crack in the block or manifold which is allowing oxygen rich air into the exhaust which in turn affects the oxygen sensor. Best course would be to first fix the cause of the exhaust leak and then, with luck, the idle and revs will be OK. Good Luck.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
ok thanks for the info:thumbsup:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
probably just needs a new manifold gasket mate...has any work been done around that area or on the exhaust lately?..as the gaskets usually need re-tightening after a few hundred k's if there has.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
yeah i got a cat back put on a few months ago, it was welded onto the cat, unless it has a leak or something,might get under there and check all the joins see if any are leaking, but it sound like it coming from manifold. I think i might wait n see if it gets worse, then if it does and a crack appears in manifold or something , it will be an excuse to get extractors:w00t:

V

vs 5.0litre

I just had my pacemakers fixed up the gasket had been blown out... if you get em redone there is a type of glue they can use instead and your spose to get them tightened wich nobody told till it was too late

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
thanks for info mate:thumbsup:

MBS206

Reaction score
I had part of my exhaust undone partly. Between the manifold and Y-piece into the cat, no problems with rough idle or anything. Just noisier on the off beat.

Fitzy3VSVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive, VY Executive and VE SS-V
Hey I have the same problem, is it easy to fix???
on mine one bolts has snaped thats holding the manifold on.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
sorry an, dnt no yet, waiting till i take car to mech for pwr steer pump and oil leaks