Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Remote Key Head Question

Wacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Sedan
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question regarding replacement remote key heads. Some searching proved useful, but not completely.

It seems replacement heads from Holden are around $65-$70 (please correct me if I'm wrong) and re-programming can cost even more than that (through dealer).

I need to get two new remote heads, and I noticed on Ebay there are quite a few for $35-$40 each. Anyone heard any problems with these ones?

I was also thinking of getting a 3 button one Lock / Unlock / Boot, even though currently I only have 2 button (VS SI Exec), as I'd like to upgrade a few options eventually. Would there be any problem using a 3 button presently? I'd assume that the boot button just wouldn't work is all.

Also, does anyone know off hand how much places like Mr Minit /local locksmiths, if they can do it, would charge for re-programming a new head only?

Cheers !

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I think if you got MrMinit to re-program a new head you would get charged a lot more than if you bought the head from them. I got my head/key and programming from them for $79.95 (the whole caboodle) - this was on a 20% off sale - normally $99. Takes about an hour for them to do it. Check with your local MrMinit. Be careful with Ebay ones!.

Disturbed_vegeta

I'd Prefer To ROAR!
Reaction score
Website
Www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VR Hsv Senator, VX SS, VZ SS Ute 6L, K9 GSXR1000
i went to mister mint today coz i bought a key head from ebay for my wagon and the they said they'd do it for $20!! and i got my key head for 40. but does any 1 know how much it'll cost to get the key cut??

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
I got one off Ebay, works fine, ya then have to get it re-programmed from someone with the gear, takes 5 min max.

$90 ? Joking - Ouch

$25 for the head is about right.

Total cost about $50 -$60 ready to go.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
most dealers charge about $90 to supply & program a new remote.
best legit trade price is about $36.
the ones on ebay are more than likely stolen.lol, but they should be ok, as far as i know theres nobody making cheap copies of them (the originals are cheap enough!!)
Rob

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1-commodore-...yZ102358QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Might be hard to copy a sealed bag with GM sticker, sure I could make a template in 30 min but who would want to ? dozens of sellers can't be stealing the things, they must know where GMH gets the things and buys em direct, or they come from GM in the US.

How can they be stolen ? report it if they are !

And they are 3 button heads for $30 another $25 -$30 for programming and your good to go, the $90 may include the head / key / and programming.

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I got a new head from the holden dealer, for about $65 and they programmed it on the spot for me. Took about 5 minutes, including dismantling it and putting the new head on it.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
digisol said:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1-commodore-...yZ102358QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Might be hard to copy a sealed bag with GM sticker, sure I could make a template in 30 min but who would want to ? dozens of sellers can't be stealing the things, they must know where GMH gets the things and buys em direct, or they come from GM in the US.

How can they be stolen ? report it if they are !

And they are 3 button heads for $30 another $25 -$30 for programming and your good to go, the $90 may include the head / key / and programming.

as i said the best legit price is about $36 each & thats if you are buying thousands. why would you sell them for less than they cost.
they are made in Thailand for AAPL.
the $90 is to supply & program a remote
simply stating facts.

Rob