Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stalling when brake

shindiger

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s2
Hi all,

Car: Vs S2 LPG/Petrol

my vs s2 has developed a problem and its really p*ssing me off. The problem is; the car will stall when i brake. Unless i pull up to a smooth stop, the damn thing will konk out!....and it always seems to happen at the worst possible times ie. peak hour traffic!

It wont happen on petrol, only on the gas. It started out only when you braked really hard! but now its getting worse.

Local gas man wants $77.00 per hour to find the prob. what i want to know is if anybody has come across this before, or any suggestions to what the problem might be before i take it in to the gas man.

thanks in advance

shindiger

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s2
Hi Jack,

the car idles fine. there are no other obvious symtoms, it drives good, ecomomy is good, power when you need it etc. The only prob is when you want to stop. If your using gas, you need to come to a nice smooth stop, if not the thing will stall.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
be like us. don't use gas!
but the only helpful thing I can suggest is maybe a vacuum leak in the brake booster. My VR used to do this, never worked out what was wrong, it just stopped. but that's no help to you. I say it's your booster

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I dont think this is going to help, but have you tried pulling the error codes? I dont think it will give you any though.

C

Cooldude1983

Hi Shindiger,

My mate had a similar problem with his VR, though it ran on petrol and not gas. It turned out to be a loose spark plug lead, fixed the problem and it never came back.

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Sounds like something electrically associated with the gas system. Smooth stop, okay. Hard braking, and a wire is shorting out, or moving more due to the harder braking forces.

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
this is the same thing that happens on my mums ford, it starts to stall if u brake hard but if u let off the brake it goes fine, not sure if it only happens on gas though, might happen on both

V

VR-commo

Hey, had a simmilar problem on my ford when i first got it converted to gas. My ford wanted to stall if i hit some bumps, it turned out to be a loose wire on the solanoid valve near the converter. I suggest that you check all your earth wires on the solonoids, there may be a loose one that is causing your problems.

Good luck

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
TheForgotten said:
be like us. don't use gas!

i filled up the tank for $27 dollars this week.

as for stalling, mine comes and goes, depending on how warmed up it is. I think the problem is to do with just going from decent revs to almost nothing in a short space of time.

I've been told to check the spark plugs and leads first.