Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharging V6 3.8L VS???

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 SS V Z Series Manaul Sportwagon
Hi Guys & Gals once again...

Been thinking lately...the next serious mod to be carried out on my VS Series II Exec 3.8L...I want to supercharge it. I want to put on a Original Eaton M90 supercharger kit that holdens came out with. What I wanted to know is what is required to convert it. I have always thought that it was a matter of sourcing everything and bolting it straight on...is this the case or is there more to it. I would obviously need the blower, inlet manifold with all switches and sensors. Complete with oil feed lines, injectors and throttle body and computer. So is this all that is needed and is there any more work required other than bolting it all up...your help on this is much appreaciated...depending on how easy it is to convert will determine how quick I do this...coz I am very serious about doing it...

Cheers, Joe:thumbsup:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
what should be done depends on how much boost you want to run and how long you'd like it to last (the engine that is).
there's plenty of people that have just wacked a s/c on a stock ecotec and have had good results, but in my opinion, and if i were doing it, id rebuild the engine with some stronger internals, o-ringed block with copper head gaskets and low comp. pistons.
you've listed almost everthing you need, ontop of what you've got down you also need injector rails...probably worth while just getting some s/c heads, as they are different to stock ones and will also have all the goodies on it already without the need to source individual parts or do machine work to it.

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
sircruisealotVS said:
what should be done depends on how much boost you want to run and how long you'd like it to last (the engine that is).
there's plenty of people that have just wacked a s/c on a stock ecotec and have had good results, but in my opinion, and if i were doing it, id rebuild the engine with some stronger internals, o-ringed block with copper head gaskets and low comp. pistons.
you've listed almost everthing you need, ontop of what you've got down you also need injector rails...probably worth while just getting some s/c heads, as they are different to stock ones and will also have all the goodies on it already without the need to source individual parts or do machine work to it.

ok thanks for that mate...so basically what your saying is...if I get all the gear I listed plus a set of s/c heads...I would not have to do the other stuff you said or what? are there any other things in my engine that are different to a s/c engine. so if i bolt on the kit and the heads...my motor would practically be identical to a factory holden s/c engine? Cheers

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
umm, no..thats not what im saying man....getting the heads and other gear and wacking them on a stock ecotec is the "cheap" way of doing it, but it does work.
there's heaps of differences between the ecotec and L67....like:
heads, manifold, injector rails and injectors, fuel pump, chip, harmonic balancer, cam, crank, rods, pistons (ecotec compression is higher too remember).
i know it seems pretty easy and cheap when you think about supercharging a ecotec, but when you get down to it, if you want it done right..its not cheap at all...cheaper to actually buy an L67.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
sircruisealotVS said:
cheaper to actually buy an L67.

you got that right... I saw one low km example go for $2900 on ebay complete with everything you need for a VT including the trans and tailshaft !!! ;)

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
ok cool fellas...thanks heaps for clearing that up for me...ive been speaking to a few of my dads mates aswell and they say the same thing. they have a fair few L67's for sale and they will do it so much cheaper for me aswell so I think im just gonna swap over mine...thanks heaps once again...

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
ignoring the crap how much are those's L67's going for?

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
Spaced said:
ignoring the crap how much are those's L67's going for?

Yeah that's a pretty good question...? I can get a good one for $2,800 which comes with everything...whatta reckon of that?

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
soudns pretty good, but what is 'everything'? is it trans, wiring harnesses, all the little hoses and pieces like that??

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
"Yeah that's a pretty good question...? I can get a good one for $2,800 which comes with everything...whatta reckon of that?"

If it's in really good nick sounds great, checked out your ride very nice man.

Last edited: