Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS wont shift into Park following work on stereo

catalyst55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Hey

I finally managed to secure my stereo in without backstraps by bending the metal back, cutting it, drilling a hole and screwing it into the normal screw holes. I couldnt have done it without the phenomenal guide on this site -- thanks guys!

Anyway, while doing this i had the car in 1 (transmission stick all the way back) for convenience... now the bloody car wont go into park!!!

All of the other gears work fine, but the bloody thing just wont go into park -- i have to turn it on with the transmission on neutral...

What do i do?

Cheers

Snotty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina auto s2
my guess would be that the plasic strip that surrounds the gear stick cannot slide all the way up cause you have something blocking it.

does this make sense?

catalyst55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Snotty said:
my guess would be that the plasic strip that surrounds the gear stick cannot slide all the way up cause you have something blocking it.

does this make sense?

i thought about that but i put it back in exactly as it was....i double checked that as i suspected that that might be the case.... unless it's hitting some wiring or something.. ill have another look... LOL aint i gonna feel stupid if youre right -- although i hope you are!

catalyst55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
umm nah, no luck... i completely removed the plastic strip and its the same :(

catalyst55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
hrrmm, yeh maybe i was inadvertently leaning on it or something... i can't be sure... makes sense though...

ill have the mechanic have a look at it... dont think theres anything i can do

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Just take off the center plate and try moving it into park... lift the handle and see what it is fouling on.... its gotta be something... If it doesn't shift into park with anything around it... panels etc... then its something internal... Try simple things first.

aZk.

catalyst55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
HAHAHAH GOT IT!!! THAT DAMNED GUY

THere was some sticky tape on the stick which i presumed only held on the handle but it also acted to lift the little rod that actually allows you to shift gears.... (the previous owner removed the button/lever thing so that he could shift gears without having to press anything)... I found this quite precarious because what if someone were to accidently shift the car into reverse while im driving? (you get the point)...

I'll post a pic soon. phew!