Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

one door lock won't go down!

Aaronvrcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
Hi all,
I have a 93 VR Calais. Having trouble with the central locking.
The left rear lock won't go down on it's own. It will come up with all of the others when I unlock the doors but when I lock them it is the only one that stays up.
Any ideas what it is? Thought maybe the wiring to that door but the fact that it still unlocks seems strange.

Thanks
Aaron

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
most likely something wrong with the motor for that door, its probably almost dead and can only manage to push the lock up..but not pull it down to lock.
pulling it out and cleaning it up might help, other than that grab a new motor and it should be fine.

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
Also check the sniper button (the orange bit on the lock) sometimes when they get a bit loose and stick out a little bit and when the button is pulled down the sniper catches.
If its not then when you lock the door listen to see if you can hear the motor trying to pull the lock down.
Good luck

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
check the piece of metal that connect the door lock wires to the motor. this happens to mine. the screws became loose and werent able to pull the lock shut. just take off the door trim and have a look

R

Rossi46

Hey there, i had the same problem with my statesman on saturday night, same door, same side.
I took the inside door trim off and spayed all the moving parts (to do with the door lock) with rp7. It worked almost straight away. Its been working fine all day. Hope it works for you! ... Josh

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
The same happens with mine but on the right hand side rear. i have lubricated it and it works fine for a while but then all of a sudden it won't work. it unlocks but doesn't lock. i found that if i manually lock it and then leave it over night it works fine for a while. but every now and then it stuffs up, but i might be the actuator but who knows. one day i might change it.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
hey both my rears do it for a few days after heavy rain.
one day I'll get fed up with it and fix them

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
My back passenger does it too. Sounds as if its only the rear doors for everyone. Seems to be common for the VR/VS. Sometimes i will walk past them and you will see the rear door unlocked in a car park or sumthin. Im lucky, well kind off. The door that is faulty i normally just use the wd-40, but it was replaced by aami (insurance company) about 2 years ago after an accident. They have a lifetime guarantee on their repairs, so i will get them to fix it. Save me pulling the door off. Will let everyone know what gets done.

Aaronvrcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
Hi guys,

Thanks for all of your responses. I can hear a bit of a 'loose-screw' sound when it unlocks so I might have a look and see if there is something loose in there.
Sorry to be a pest but anyone got some tips on how to get the trim off? I've got no idea!

Thanks
Aaron

adam_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU manual
the hardest thing to getting door trims off is getting the orange thing out of the locking snib, you need to pull that out a bit to get the locking snib out. other than that is just a couple screws underneath the little hand grip panel.
Ive got power windows but im pretty sure there is a clip behind the window winder that you need to push out, then just pull the door trim away from the door.

Edit: ahh yours is a calais so its got power windows to then? you'll have to disconnect the window button, either by pulling the door trim off a bit and disconnecting it, or just pop it up out of the trim and disconnect it that way.