Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

idles up and down

jayignorantz

Reaction score
hey folks,

just bought a 93' Vr Exec... runs fine apart from when its at a stand still.. wether in park or drive, the idle fluctuates up and down .. anybody know what can cause it to do that?... thanx for your help in advance

Jay

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
ive got the same issue, but have u checked for error codes? also has the car been serviced, throttle body cleaned?

jayignorantz

Reaction score
thanx for the info... error codes seem a lil complicated for me..lol.. will get that looked at tho.. i get the feeling its more to do with the throttle body and idle air controller.. thanx for the reply

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
yea i have the same problem although when in drive or neutral it idles really low, around the 300-400rpm mark. me thinks its probably just the idle position on the carbie which needs to be adjusted. just too lazy to fix it lol

DaPlaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
betts said:
yea i have the same problem although when in drive or neutral it idles really low, around the 300-400rpm mark. me thinks its probably just the idle position on the carbie which needs to be adjusted. just too lazy to fix it lol

hmmmm carbie??? what engine are you talking about?

No carbie on a 3.8 Buick/ecotech all fuel injected, most likely IAC.

A

AdamIan69

My v6 does it aswell, i notice when i drive it hard the engine idle will increase (1000rpm- 2500rpm) and when driven slow the engine idle will decrease. I noticed my charcol canister was leaking and it stoped the problem for a while then it started again. Yet i cant find any leaks.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
My VN does this. Only when it's been idling in park for awhile though. I haven't gone looking for a problem, I've just come to terms with the fact that my car is possessed, and has a mind of it's own.

Curious to know what it could be though.