Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

manual box

pandacav

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 3.8 manual
just got my gearbox rebuilt but it still crunches in reverse and also pops out of reverse i was told the likly prob could be the oil used?:confused: :confused:

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
try different oil but as for the crunch,in my vn series 2 u have to put the clutch in for 5 seconds before engaging reverse, it even says it in the holden manual in the glovebox! have a read!
or go to fifth than reverse(WHILE STOPPED I MEAN)
ive seen(heard) heaps of vn manuals grind from neutral into reverse

MBS206

Reaction score
It's because the layway (I think that's its name) shaft is normally spinning in the wrong direction to engage properly into reverse synchros, hence, they don't build a box with reverse synchros.
And if you're slightly rolling, the layway shaft and input shaft are spinning in opposite directions, hence they crunch until the input shaft stops, and engages.

not_just_any_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
my vr manual didnt like going into reverse. i just held pressure on the gear stick (as ti put it in reverse) and then very slowly released the clutch. always goes in. got sick of doing that so went to supercheap and grabbed some nulon x90 (i think thats wat its called) and put that in the gear box. smooth. hasnt done it since

pandacav

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 3.8 manual
how bout it popin out of reverse gear.

krisjanik

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl executive
yea mine dose that to i just finished conversion wat is the best fluid to use

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
MBS206 said:
It's because the layway (I think that's its name) shaft is normally spinning in the wrong direction to engage properly into reverse synchros, hence, they don't build a box with reverse synchros.
And if you're slightly rolling, the layway shaft and input shaft are spinning in opposite directions, hence they crunch until the input shaft stops, and engages.

Yes and no,
the clutch and laygears will always spin in the direction that they are goin except if u succesfully select reverse while rolling foward, then it will spin everything in reverse. its the same with selecting 1st while rolling back. In between the reverse gear and reverse lay gear is a reverse idler gear which reverses the direction of the reverse gear therefore giving u reverse torque. in your box, when the clutch is engaged, all ur gears and laygears are spinning however, only ur selected gear will spin ur output shaft and when u disengage the clutch all gears slow down to a sort of factory set idle (it would be in ur manual wat speed the clutch and gears idle at) when it is in idle the gears slow down so u can select them however in reverse, if the outputshaft has been spinning one way, so has the reverse gear selector which would be opposite to the reverse gear, and thats why it can be hard to select reverse sometimes, becos ur selector is spinning the opposite way to the gear and the clutch and laygears havent slowed down to idle yet

in the T5 boxes, it can be difficult to select reverse at times but in the Getrag boxes they improved on this problem, even though at times it can be still pretty hard. i found i can select reverse even if im rolling foward a bit as long as the gear matches up, if it doesnt, i can feel the shifter not want to go in. the best way to get it to match up is let go of the clutch in neutral and let spin a bit and then try again. it should go straight in

note: ur clutch and gears will not spin at a constant idle they will slow down to a stop if no torque is applied to them after a certain time

P.S sorry for such a long reply, i just get carried away when comes to cars, its the problem of being a mechanical engineneer