Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR commo engine

V

VR-commo

Hey guys, I'm looking for a half rooted v6 to drop in my wifes commo, as the engine that comes out i will rebuild slowly in my spare time. will a vn/vp engine work ok or will it have to be a vr/vs one? Whats the diff between a vn/vp and a vr engine?

thanks

V

VR-commo

Come on people, please help a man with his quest for knowledge.

MJR_VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Comm Vr Exec
Hey dude

What car has your wife got firstly?

Commo dosn't help I am presuming she has a vr.????

If so your better to get a half rooter vr engine (buik 3.8).

Putting a buik 3.8 from a vn-vp is easy though the computering/chip/electrical is diff.

The vns also have no plastic belmouth restrictor on them whilst the vp s1 to vr/s s1 do.

I would suggest just buying the same spec car as your wifes but one that is half rooted and swap the engines so that the half rooted will be a temp for the one you have taken out and are rebuilding.

As I said things are diff not so much in the engine but are in the bay and electrics.

Hope this helps.

Cheers mate.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
don't get a VN s1 engine, it won't pass engineering
if it's ONLY the engine your swapping, then you won't have any probs with wiring ect as they are identical

V

VR-commo

k, its a vr commodore, 3.8L i just need to put in a peice of **** while rebuilding the current 3.8L. I can get a vn motor really cheap so if it is just elecrical that needs to be swapped from the current to a vn v6 to nake it fit it should be ok yeah? PS i live in WA so engineering crap wont apply, it looks like a grandpa mobile cops nerver look at it on the road.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
a vn series 2 motor would be much better, im not sure but i think there might be a few wiring differences. Other than that, any other vn-vr motor will go in, provided its form an auto car if she has an auto, etc