Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Indicator Stalk

sicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS - Series 2 / Karma
Hey Guys

Just a quick question - i have a faulty indicator stalk in my VR Acclaim, do i need to remove the steering wheel/ airbag to change it over???

I cant find my haynes book & havent bought another indicator stalk yet, just need to know so i either buy the part or book it in at an auto elec's to get it fixed...

Any feeback would be awesome!

thanks!
Pete.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
sicko said:
Hey Guys

Just a quick question - i have a faulty indicator stalk in my VR Acclaim, do i need to remove the steering wheel/ airbag to change it over???

I cant find my haynes book & havent bought another indicator stalk yet, just need to know so i either buy the part or book it in at an auto elec's to get it fixed...

Any feeback would be awesome!

thanks!
Pete.
you dont have to remove the air bag. just pull its fuse out then undo the shroud that is around the column. the stalk the has 2 plastic clips hoding it, you pry them out slightly and move the stalk out. If you have cruise control the wireing goes across to the other side of the column, you just unclip it.

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Do you really need to remove fuses for the airbag?

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
maginoodle said:
you dont have to remove the airbag fuse but you run the risk of bumping the airbag sensor/wires while you are doing the job.

How would you do that? the wires would have to be naked and sensors would be in the front of the car no?

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
VLishes said:
How would you do that? the wires would have to be naked and sensors would be in the front of the car no?
better safe than sorry?

Though I would say dont turn the ignition on which the fuse out, you might get a stuck on airbag off light of some sort....maybe...I don't know.

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Is it possible to repair stalks? My head lights flicker when the stalk clicks back to the off position.

Struma

Urge Surfer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Executive Ute
Flickering Headlights

Mine have just started doing the same thing - but I didn't think it might have anything to do with the actual indicator switch, given that the headlights run through a different switch (don't they?)...but you could be on to something, as the highbeam is controlled by this switch...I would like to suss this out.

Cheers.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I've heard of the stalk being "tightened up" but don't know what is entailed. From the way they fail it has to have something to do with wear in the pivot points of the stalk which will be plastic and plastic can be melted and reshaped with a soldering iron. I'm sure with a bit of ingenuity they could be fixed. Of course they don't cost much new!!