Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Light Help! Oil Feeding Problem

R

Ryzza75

I have a 1995 Series I VS Berlina. My car has been sitting in one spot for around 5 or 6 months however it has been started during this period... Its only just recently in this last monthit hasnt been started and the battery has died.

The problem is, I got it started, It started fine.. It drives fine, but just before i reached my destination a few minutes away... The oil light comes on. and stays on... I checked the oil, and its fine. The only thing I can think of is that the oil filter may be clogged etc. I had a similar problem before. I havent driven/started it since.

I was wondering if anyone can shine some light on the topic and or help me diagnose it for sure...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm very worried that my car is about to kark it!

Thankyou...:hit:

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
could be blocked filter, but my guess would be a blockage at the oil sender. screw the sender out, let some oil drain out the hole and try it.
the sender may be no good as well

grigor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive, R31, R33
When the filter blocks, oil pressure opens the by-pass valve and your engine runs on un-filtered oil. So you get gunk in your lifters, bearings etc, etc.
My guess is a blocked or stuffed oil pressure sender.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Even if the oil filter is blocked (which is a rare thing), the oil light should not come on. The sender also not be blocked because oil does not flow thru it plus unfiltered oil still is pretty clean (cars before 1960 rarely had oil filters). Water getting into the sender will cause problems so I'd lay my money on a dud sender.
Good luck.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I would do an oil and filter change - general service really if its been sitting a while. And then post here.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Ryzza75 said:
The oil light comes on. and stays on... I checked the oil, and its fine. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm very worried that my car is about to kark it!

Thankyou...:hit:

Take the oil pressure switch out,drop it in a bowl of some sort with plenty of kero.Leav it for about 1/2 hour,take it out blow/pressure dry,put it back on.Happy motoring.

R

Ryzza75

Thanks heaps guys. I ran the car again after changing oil filter and found the oil quite gunky actually as well. I replaced the sender as well. Car is now running fine again without too much trouble... Thanks heaps!

Many thanks.