Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hazzards work - no indicators

ozsmoka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina 5 litre (97)
Hey all,

Just got a quick question re my indicators in my VS wagon (V8). The car stalled on the missus the other day, no electrics. No fuel pump, no solenoid no nothing.

She waited 5 mins or so, then tried the ignition and it started for her, but she had no indicators working. I had a look at this morning and I noticed a park light blown. Is it possible a sensor was tripped when the park globe blew?

I replaced the park globe and that is fine. I still have the issue of all four indicators not working.

The hazzards work fine. Do the hazzards run off the same flasher unit?

If thats the case and the flasher unit is fine, Ive heard that the indicator control arms often need replacing, I assume that would be the next likely cause.

Thanks in advance all. Ive only been driving this vehicle for a couple of months, so Im not really familiar with this models quirks. I drove a VP the last five years. I got to know it pretty well. Im just starting that journey on the VS :)

ozsmoka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina 5 litre (97)
Thanks S Pac Sam

That does help - now I just need to find where it is :) I guess it will be near the hazzards flasher. Just follow the sound of the hazzards flasher I guess. I assume I could replace the working hazzards flasher with the flasher for the indicators - in order to test for a flasher unit failure??

cheers

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Gregorys manual only shows one flasher unit which serves both indicators and hazard lights - located on fuse panel under steering wheel. Do a search on this forum as I've seen this problem before and it has something to do with the Hazard light switch (I think). Have you found out why the car lost all electrics???
Good Luck.

ozsmoka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina 5 litre (97)
Thanks guys

I seem to have fixed my indicator problem :). Indeed there is only one flasher unit serving both for the hazzards and the indicators. I just gave the flasher unit a wiggle around and tried seating it a little better and that did the trick. Duhh..

I havent found the reason for the electrics dropping dead the other day. I dearly love to track that bug down. The altenator and battery have been tested as being fine as of this morning so at least I can eliminate that as an issue.

I dont know wether a bodgy flasher unit could short out causing a loss of electrics or wether a blown park globe could trip a sensor somewhere?? I just dont know how sensitive the electrical system is in these models.

Thanks all for your help

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Check the fat hot wire to the alternator as these can fail and short out with disastrous results. You've got a lot of electronics in a VS that are all susceptible to voltage surges. Good Luck.

ozsmoka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina 5 litre (97)
Thanks for the tip hako,

I really appreciate it. Yeah its a nice car- elec windows, cruise control etc but it makes trouble shooting all the more tricky and leaves me feeling all the more vulnerable. This is the price you pay.

Ill definately check it out.

cheers