Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission fluid in engine bay

iansown

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Whilst travelling along highway engine started over reving. Stopped and found Automatic transmission fluid all over the drivers side of the engine bay. Managed to get home slowly and have topped up fluid to correct level. Runs perfectly now and I can not find any leak at all. Any ideas?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
check all your trans cooler lines and check for cracks in the transfluid tank attatched to the radiator if it has one

ozsmoka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina 5 litre (97)
Hey iansown,

Are you sure it was trans fluid and not power steering fluid?

How has the steering been lately?

Im no expert but but Id double check power steering for leaks also :)

cheers

iansown

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Steering is good as is power steering fluid level. Where is transmission breather thought it may be comeing from there?

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
it was a recall from holden, when the trans gets hot it spus oil out of filler, do an auto service, change filter and fit the later locking trans dipstick, that should fix it! good luck

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
All Ecotec 4L60E trans should have the locking transmission dipstick plus on the series 2 they included an extra oil cooler. The fact that your transmission overheated is cause for concern plus if it was over-revving indicates the clutches were slipping. If you were towing a heavy load or climbing steep long hills in hot weather then you could understand this happening. But if it was just whilst cruising along then I'd be thinking of at least a trans oil/filter change....The only other thing which might tip the scales your way is if you were low on trans fluid when this happened - this could cause slippage and boil the fluid. Whatever, a service is your first stop as gen111bandit says.
Good Luck.

6h84eva

Certifiably Holden Mad
Reaction score
Website
www.ithome.net.nz
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6
Completely agree with genIIIbandit and hako on this. Had a VS SII wagon (at 132km) decide to start slipping in 4th going up a 20 degree rise towing a trailer with a load on. She had been doing 80km/h and all of a sudden started slowing and the revs went north. Trans fluid spewed out the rear of the car and coated the floorpan under the driver's seat and back. There is certainly a breather near the top on the driver's side of the box and this is where it all came from. She had a trans cooler as well, but the oil ponged when I checked the level. Basically after about 5 mins on the side of the road, she'd cooled down enough to drive home and it didn't do it again from that point until I took it in to get the box serviced about a week later. The box shop ran the tester thingy and checked the computer was definitely trying to engage all gears (including lockup) and found the lockup gear was not doing it's bit either. I got them to pull the box, replace the torque converter, check / replace the frictions and oilpump, upgrade the lockup valve, flush the system and cooler and replace the filter. Gear 3/4 frictions were about half worn (so did them anyway), but the main forward drive unit was worn out. The oil pump was completely shagged and the torque converter was blue from heat exhaustion. The external cooler was clear, but the filter was full of crap. Basically the guys reckoned that the filter starving the system was the cause of most of the wear, so I guess it certainly shows you that regular maintenance is a necessary evil!!! I blame the last owner....... Definitely get a service on the beast before she does the full monty!

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
hako said:
The fact that your transmission overheated is cause for concern plus if it was over-revving indicates the clutches were slipping.
the torque converter running out of fluid can cause this also

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
iansown said:
Whilst travelling along highway engine started over reving. Stopped and found Automatic transmission fluid all over the drivers side of the engine bay. Managed to get home slowly and have topped up fluid to correct level. Runs perfectly now and I can not find any leak at all. Any ideas?

De Ja Vu...had exactly the same thing happen to me coming home from down south last Easter.

Hot day stuck on the side of the highway with a screaming baby...oh the joy !

Ended up being a very fine crack in the hose going to the cooler in the radiator that gave up in the heat (wouuld have happened sooner or later)....transmission fluid from a**hole to breakfast...oh what a mess.:cry:

New hoses and 5 litres of transmission fluid later and she was sweet.