Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Gearbox Problem

B

Ben_VP_Calais

Hi Everyone,

My mate has asked me to post this on here for him. His car is a 1993 VR Exec with the 4 speed auto and he says that for some reason he cannot use 1st or 4th gear. The car is taking off in 2nd and changes to 3rd but will not shift up to 4th. He also has the engine light on the dash showing. Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,

Ben Rogers.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I think it means there is a problem with the transmission and the car has gone into "limp" mode. Until the problem is diagnosed and fixed the car will remain in "limp" mode. I suggest you do a search on this forum. Good Luck.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
check for codes. definitely somethin wrong, might be time to save the pennys

dr_bass

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
I had the exact same thing in my '93 VR Exec 4spd Auto. Turned out that it was part if the wiring harness INSIDE the transmission. It is the harness that conects all the valves and solenoids together. A trip down to the auto shop, some soldering and fresh trans oil and I was away! It was about two years ago so I can't remember how much that kind of work cost.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
i had a similar problem with mine. i had no first gear. i could manually shift it to first and use it but when left in D it would take off in second. the fault was a shift solenoid in the trans had gone. can't remember the cost though. the computer check should confirm this if that is the problem. let us know how he goes.

zferguson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
I had the exact same problem with my 97 VS yesturday, i took it to a transmission shop and it turned out the solanoid's need replaceing.

sir.twitch2

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr s pack
Hi Everyone,

My mate has asked me to post this on here for him. His car is a 1993 VR Exec with the 4 speed auto and he says that for some reason he cannot use 1st or 4th gear. The car is taking off in 2nd and changes to 3rd but will not shift up to 4th. He also has the engine light on the dash showing. Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,

Ben Rogers.

my car has the same thing.
just had my VR 95 put on a diagnostic computer today and it has a fault with the 2-3 shift solenoid. hope that helps.
:thumbsup:

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
my car has the same thing.
just had my VR 95 put on a diagnostic computer today and it has a fault with the 2-3 shift solenoid. hope that helps.
:thumbsup:

need a solinoid?

sir.twitch2

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr s pack
ring Holden but its probably cheaper to go to a wrecker im going to try get one tomorrow

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
i have a tested one here if u just want to pay for postage