Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

code 22 Throttle Position Sensor low voltage

boults_4545

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 94
Hi,

I removed my throttle body off my vr acclaim with 200k km. After everything is reassembled a get a rough idle and and error code 22 throttle position sensor low voltage.

Gregorys says that it could be the wiring harness but I was thinking that it is the sensor itself. Has anyone experienced a problem with their wiring harnsess? Should I just change the sensor? Where can I pick up a sensor from in Brisbane on a sunday?

Cheers

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
i had this error and needed to repalce it, around 40 dollars genuine i think, u can try reset the computer and reconnecting the cable to the sensor to see how that goes, but 40 bux isnt to much if it needs replacing

Last edited:

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
when u had the throttle body off, did u by any chance try cleaning in with carbi clean(or simular)?

MBS206

Reaction score
Try pushing the connector on again (Take it off, put it on again)

boults_4545

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 94
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick responses. I have tried pushing the connector back on and the connections look clean but still the same problem.

Yes I did use quite a bit of throttle body cleaner when I had the throttle body off. I also took the throttle position sensor off the throttle body had a look and put it straight back on again. Is it possible I have thrown some settings out? How do I realign it again?

Cheers

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
if you have a factory manual and you know which wire to check, backprobe the ECU harness with a voltmeter and check the operation. you can sit in the driver seat and push the throttle, you will see the volt reading change. it should move smoothly as you press the pedal through the prescribed voltage range, specified in your manual.

if it does that, no problemo. if not, well... something's wrong.

boults_4545

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 94
thanks, I sprayed a sh*tload inside the throttle body, probably used 1/2 a can.

Is there any way to check that the throttle position sensor is screwed like with a multimeter or something? Can't find any on ebay and need one before monday do the wreckers usually carry them?

If I get my hands on one tomorrow is it as simple as just un-bolting the old one and then bolting the new one on? Do I need to be check any settings or make any adjustments?

cheers

cheers

boults_4545

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 94
umm it is the factory auto...i saw the backprobing method described in the gregorys manual. It looks a bit difficult but I could probably give it a go if I had to. How often do people find there is a problem other than the sensor itself?

cheers

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
just bolts in, if ya can,drive it down to wrecker and repace on site, then u will know if its any good, with out looking at car i would say thats all the problem is, i did the same thing on a vn when i was an apprentice.Next time, just spray on a rag and wipe and try avoiding the sensor, good luck.