Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hazard and Boot Release Failed

J

jimbob42

Hi guys,

First post here! Have found this site to be a great help with my parents VS Statesman in the past (HVAC Fan spead resister replacement).

They now have another electronic related problem.

Basically at or around the same time, their boot release and hazard lights have failed. I think the problem is related as the blinkers used to flash when locking and unlocking the car and now they don't!

Car: '95 VS Statesman Series 1

Symptoms:

Hazard lights don't work
Blinkers don't flash when unlocking and locking
Boot won't release with either keyfob or glovebox button. (I hear a relay click under the dash when pushing the boot release button on the remote though)

I think all of this started at the same time. Can anyone tell me where to start looking? Do you know where the Boot release Relay is?

I checked out the Boot solenoid, with another battery (disconnected from the loom) and it works fine.

I have also read about the hazard light button problem, but have pushed it quite a few times and hasn't fixed the issue.

Seems like a wierd one!

Thanks guys,

James

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
i would start by finding the relay you hear clicking and swap it with one you know that works(i always use the horn one it is in the engine bay). If that doesnt fix it you will have to test both +ve and earth in the loom where you disconected it last time. You should use a multimeter, but a test light will show if nothings getting through.
You should probably try another relay in the hazards as well, sometimes they may only need to be wiggled.

J

jimbob42

Lost Relay

Thanks mate,

The problem is that I cannot seem to pinpoint the relay that is clicking when I push the boot release from the remote. I think it may be integrated into the BCU (Body Control Unit).

The relay clicking noise is comming from above where the standard fuses are but is tucked in above the AC venting to the drivers side door.

If someone knows where to hit a test point of a colour of wire in the loom, I can easily get a multimeter in there (I am an electronics guy).

I can't really find where the Hazard relay is either. It doesn't seem to be marked on the fuse panel or in the engine bay (is there even one?)

Any idea's?

Jim

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Hazard relay is on the far right in the fuse panel under the column.
I dont know how the where the boot wireing goes, my haynes manual doesnt show the boot wires. It shows the tailgate wires on a wagon but they must have a lock/unlock on them. All the lock stuff does go through the bcm.
Did you check if you have +ve and earth at the joiner where you tested the boot solenoid ?

J

jimbob42

Still lost

Thanks Guys,

Maginoodle, the relay you are talking about is the indicator relay, and it works fine (because the indicators work). I thought there might be another relay that controls the Hazard lights when the Lock/Unlock button is pushed and am trying to find that relay.

Dr, all the fuses are fine.

J

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
check the fuses

had similar issues, changed most of the fuses (even OK ones) and all electrical issues vanished

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
even thogh the indicators are fine, the hazards will draw more power and the relay mite not handle it. The hazards go through it as well.
Do the hazards work when you turn them on? If they dont the problem may be in the hazard system.It could be the switch or the relay not being able to handle the extra current draw.
Did you check if there is power and earth at the joiner in the boot for the solenoid?

J

jimbob42

HI Halo,

I have checked all the fuses with no luck.... :(

The Hazards don't work at all when turned on...

I think the problem is definately somewhere in the hazard/boot release circuiry (I assume it is all related because of the indicator flashes when a button is pushed on the remote).
I have checked the connector to the solenoid in the boot....Nada..
I have also checked the solenoid itself using and external supply and it operates fine.

I think I am back to trying to find a wiring diagram etc that shows where the hazard/boot release wireing goes.

My father took the car to a holden dealer the other day and they had no idea what it could be....

Best,
James