Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hydratrak help

98berlina

Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Members Ride
WH International LS8
fellow holden buffs
i have recently acquired a quite rare and astonishing 1996 VS GTS/R. this has a hydrtrak diff in it and i just wanna know a bit more about them. ive been told the diff adjusts the level of fluids in the centre, depending on what speed you are doing. has anyone got more info on this, can anyone tell me any pro's or con's for the hydratrak??

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
Wow a GTS/R in perth!? wouldnt mind seeing one in the fleash

clarkey3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim s2
gts/r is king of all vs's u didnt get it from mandurah did u? coz theres one livin down here but ive never seen it move from the same car park. the guy who owns it is probly dead lol.

98berlina

Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Members Ride
WH International LS8
car was brought over from melbourne, build number 68.trust me, you'll be seeing one on car cruises all the time now!!! this still doesnt help my hydratrak dilemma

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Actually I've heard people say once the viscous fluid overheats in them the LSD doesn't work as good.

Last edited:

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
hydra-trak out -> spool in
when resell
spool out -> hydra-trak in.

problem solvered!

98berlina

Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Members Ride
WH International LS8
good info thanx sixshooter
good idea thanx VP_luke
i think a locker is the way to go, or an LSD that wont **** up

BLACKVZSV8

300 rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 M6
Hey I think I saw you the other day cant remember where but i remember thinking hey a GTS/R havent seen one of those for ages....

Might have been West Coast hwy ????

Bad memory.

BLACKVZSV8

300 rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 M6
Oh and I has a VR GTS with Hydratrak and it used to do single wheel peels all the time hahaha Not that great for burnouts and oversteer but was fine for handling and twisty roads.

DO NOT get a locker it will destroy your rear suspension, your tyres and snap axles and make the car a pig to drive. I had one in my VN and will never get one again. Just get a good LSD or a kaaz centre.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
the hydratrak centre, which as previously mentioned, was fitted to a range of vehicles (even falcon utes) is not a bad centre, it uses a viscous coupling which is sealed, this coupling acts like an LSD but it uses heat to increase the limited slip effect. if youre single spinning, the fluid in the coupling will be heating up and as this happens, it gets thicker, thus trying to exert force to the other wheel as well. biggest downfall is the fluid loses its' effect over time, thus turning it into a conventional single spinning differential