Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr\vs passenger air bag

• Thread starter charged6_vsacclaim
  • Start date
C

charged6_vsacclaim

hey guys\ girls,
just wondering how many of you vr vs owners out there have there passenger side air bag cover lifting. mine is and it is getting to that stage were something has to be done about it it is certainly a safety issue i just need a rough idea on how many covers have lifted as im prepared to go to holden about the issue. if other car company's can recall all cars sold between "96" and "99" to fix a rear axle problem than why can't holden do the same with the commodores. let me know what you guys think.

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
yhe myns done it 2. its actualy quite pricey 2 fix. havnt botherd. i was thinkin about getin the vr dash so i dont have the problem....just no airbag. but meh.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
charged6_vsacclaim said:
hey guys\ girls,
just wondering how many of you vr vs owners out there have there passenger side air bag cover lifting. mine is and it is getting to that stage were something has to be done about it it is certainly a safety issue i just need a rough idea on how many covers have lifted as im prepared to go to holden about the issue. if other car company's can recall all cars sold between "96" and "99" to fix a rear axle problem than why can't holden do the same with the commodores. let me know what you guys think.

Extremely common problem, about $150 for the replacement part from Holden, and they have plenty of them in stock. I reckon 90% of the VS commodores I have seen have the 'passenger airbag cover lifting' issue. I would probably just get it fixed, as you say it is a safety issue, and I would rather spend the money for piece of mind.

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
it dosnt realy effect the driver tho does it. i duno bout you but 95% of the time im the only one in the caRr.

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Mine does it too, question is, how long will it take for it to turn into a banana again.

itchy pits

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz
air bag covers on other makes and modles dont peel up though, so their must be an issue with them. my air bag cover is ok atm but when it does lift up ima be pisses

V

vscalaisII

Yeh mine has done it to, it seems like they will all do it evetually, they should fix it.

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
vscalaisII said:
Yeh mine has done it to, it seems like they will all do it evetually, they should fix it.

the problem is caused by the heat from the sun...SOLUTION: dash mat :)

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
96vscommodore said:
the problem is caused by the heat from the sun...SOLUTION: dash mat :)

errr a dashmat for VR/VS with passenger airbaf doesn't protect the actual airbag cover and I think it would be pretty silly to get one which is made for a VR/VS which hasn't got a passenger airbag.

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
VLishes said:
errr a dashmat for VR/VS with passenger airbaf doesn't protect the actual airbag cover and I think it would be pretty silly to get one which is made for a VR/VS which hasn't got a passenger airbag.

well myn does. its covers the airbag cover 100% and it still lets the airbag inflate in the event of an accident (its got a cut out which would flap open to let airbag expand). have a look in an auto shop im sure you could find one with a similar design.