Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr Commodore Tire Pressure

Steve27

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR executive
Hey guys, just want an opinion, i inflate my tires to 45 psi which is the maximum rated on my tires, some people tell me its way too much. Since i have been doing this, i notice that my tires barely wear at all, and i barely have to accelerate, does anyone else do this and have any comments?

Just an idea, i bought brand new tires 4 years ago, and they still look like they have another 2 years in them at least. I drive quite alot too.

Centurion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore V6 3.8lt Manual
Tyre pressures quoted on the car are way too low, if you have 15inch tyres run 36psi, 16inch run 38-40psi, 17,18,19inch 40-50psi

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
Centurion said:
Tyre pressures quoted on the car are way too low, if you have 15inch tyres run 36psi, 16inch run 38-40psi, 17,18,19inch 40-50psi

agreed, pressure's are specced low to make for a slightly smoother ride, but being people who enjoy a good drive, we pump up for peformance.

...ok that came out wrong.

I inflate my tires to 38-40psi to get good road feel and avoid some flexing in the walls. remember to allow a couple of psi for heat expansion if you intend to let a little more loose on a hot day.

BANGERS88

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 Toyota Starlet GT, turbo.
yeah recomended pressures are for comfort. for better fuel economy pump up extra, just dont go over your tyres maximum.

thats interesting steve27, about tyre wear, i would have thought that pumping them up that extra bit would give you even tyre wear as well, instead of on the shoulders of the tyres.

also does anyone know how much it costs to get your tyres swapped around. ie. directional rubber so needs taking off rims and putting on another.