Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS stalling

BeastVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5L
I pulled up next to the curb, put the car in reverse and it stalled on me. The car runs fine and only has like 107 thousand k's on it. Does any1 no what is wrong. I think the car might have still been moving forward when i put it into reverse and thats the only thing i can think of that might make it stall??:cry:

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
clean throttle body and iac valve, check the howto section its in there some were, and also check for any error codes on computer :)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd wait till it does it maybe 3 or 4 times before I tried to figure out what was wrong. fitzy2005 may be correct but at 107K the motor should still be clean as, but running the codes would be a good idea.

BeastVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5L
ummm i dont think im brave enough to try any of that. It recently had an nrma inspection and nothing turned up, its going in for a service soon. So i guess i will just wait and see if it does it again.

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
I have had this problem for a while it very rarley cuts out but i occasinly the revs drop really low and almost cuts out.
I have tried to get it fixed but to no avail.
So far i ahve tried the throtle body and all that stuff and also got the stepper motor in the tranny cleaned up but that only helped a little(does it less).
If you cant actually get it fixed then just make sure that when your going into reverse from drive the car is completly stopped and dont turn the steering wheel (it sucks to much power).
If you do find out let us know but good luck with it.

BeastVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5L
i just went for a drive to my g/f's and i put it in reverse like 4 times and it didnt do it. I think it was because i was still moving and the car couldnt handle it.

CommyLover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
BeastVS said:
I think it was because i was still moving and the car couldnt handle it.

I had my auto vl in neutral whislt i was rolling towards some lights (the engine when connected to the wheels would cause such rapid deceleration) and then instead of putting it back into drive when they went green, for some reason i lifted it up and into reverse at 40 kms or so.quickly fixed this and left it in N, stopped at next set of lights and went to take off again only to find that the car had been turned off! i turned the key took off and didnt have another problem. i had figured that there would be a saftey preventing drivline and engine connecting up like this, hence the engine cut off, or else i had blown teh diff or something but it seems teh engine just dies due to the stress

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
BeastVS said:
i just went for a drive to my g/f's and i put it in reverse like 4 times and it didnt do it. I think it was because i was still moving and the car couldnt handle it.
The car will not select reverse because selecting reverse when going forward makes no mechanical sense. It has nothing to do with whether the car can handle it. Reverse should be blocked out till the output shaft of the auto trans stops rotating. If by chance this centrifugally operated device is not operating (rare), then you can select reverse whilst the car is still moving forward. The result will be a stuffed diff/tailshaft/trans at the worst, and at best you will lose control of the car as the back wheels are locked and steer where they want.
I hope your g/f doesn't find out you are doing things with her car :whistling