Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS non ABS Front Brake rotor removal

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
well i've replaced my rear rotors, put in new pads im up to the front rotors and after a little effort i freed it of its caliper but the rotor isnt coming off

i havent tried adding a little CRC to see if that works but i dont have a gregorys manual on hand to see if there is more to it than just trying to whack it off so to speak. my new rotors have three holes most likely for a retaining screw of some sort but my old ones show no sign of being held on other than the fact they are on prety hard.

i've been lurking here and there and there is some removal guides but i havent found anything specific.... please help!

:bow:

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
scrap that, according to DBA's guide on upgraded rotors it just need to hit it harder lmao

gotta love google i should of stopped though there first.

DaPlaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
could you let me know how you go as i'll be doing this very soon to my front rotors. What were the DBA rotors you bought?

Cheers

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Patrio7 said:
scrap that, according to DBA's guide on upgraded rotors it just need to hit it harder lmao

gotta love google i should of stopped though there first.

Yep

use a BIGGER smoter.... I have had to use 4lb engineers
hammers ..coz of the rust and heat! sorta welds 'em on you see :bang:
can't use the old front rotors again...but
after the 4lb treatment :thumbsup:

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
DaPlaya said:
could you let me know how you go as i'll be doing this very soon to my front rotors. What were the DBA rotors you bought?

Cheers

heh a little wd40 and some elbow grease and theyre of and on, my dad took my car to bed the brakes in but other than that i just have to cruise for a week and they'll be all good :)

-edit-

>.< i didnt get to the point, ummm no idea what the part # was, basicly it was a dba set of equivilent replacements, cbf upgrading atm.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Don't go bashing them too hard with the sledgehammer - VS wheel bearings cost $400 per side plus labour!

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
good thing my dads a mechanic by trade ^_^

but no, all done now, all good. in a way i should of taken step by step pics but my issue was patchy rain and garage is more of a patio (1meter gap ) so i got rained on

DaPlaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
hako said:
Don't go bashing them too hard with the sledgehammer - VS wheel bearings cost $400 per side plus labour!

Are you serious $400 for one wheel bearing??? I don't/can't believe that... If I were to buy a wheel bearing and put it in myself it would cost $400 for one side.. :ranting:

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
The hub & wheel bearing are one piece. If you are replacing a hub with ABS it costs a hell of a lot more. The last price I got for a hub for non ABS was $360.

DaPlaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
vt1538 said:
The hub & wheel bearing are one piece. If you are replacing a hub with ABS it costs a hell of a lot more. The last price I got for a hub for non ABS was $360.

So your saying a non ABS hub will be around the mid $300 mark. that sounds more like it, I'm glad I don't have ABS!