Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trans Service on 4L60E

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 SS V Z Series Manaul Sportwagon
Trans Service on 4L60E or B&M Transpak kit?

Hi Guys...

Look I've been wanting to get my transmission serviced on my 96 VSII 3.8 Auto for ages but there are a few questions I just wanted to ask you guys before going ahead...

What exactly is invloved in a basic transmission service and what is it worth? Are any parts replaced other than the filter and changing of oil? I remember a while back reading something about tightening of bands and stuff? Anyway I also just wanted to know...instead of getting it serviced...would it be better to buy a "B&M Transpak Kit" or a "TransGo Stage 2 Shift" or something like that something like that like these two...

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...M-70235&N=700 +400004+300223+115&autoview=sku
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Commodore-Automatic-TransGo-Stage-2-Shift-Kit-VR-VS_W0QQitemZ130026419126QQihZ003QQcategoryZ102357QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and just get that put in? Which is better out of the two? is this better than getting it serviced...basically is it more than what is done in a service and how good are they? Do they make your trans stronger? Is this like some sort of shift Kit? Stage 1 or 2? are these things any good? Because I can pick one up pretty cheap and I can get it fitted for nothing but just out of curiosity...how much would it be to get this fitted?

Cheers, Guys...hope you can all clear this up for me because Ive been wanting to do this for ages...its ****ing annoying. :thumbsup:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
the kits are for getting a firmer shift at higher rpms etc and more control over your tranny. even if you get one of these fitted you will still need to get the tranny serviced. a regular service is basic and not really worth it as they only remove the sump(and a couple of liters of fluid) with new gasket and filter. get it serviced somewhere were they can reverse flush the tranny this way the remove all the old fluid from the tranny including the converter(about 2 liters a regular service doesn't get) and all the fluid lines and cooler etc and then they fill it with all new clean fluid. if you get the full service you should definitly notice a difference in the way the box feels when driving. it cost about $230 here(NZ) your tranny is electrically controlled and you don't need to get the bands tightened as they are controlled by a solenoid. only the older hydramatic boxes needed band adjustments. my advice is get it serviced, get a stage 1 or 2 kit fitted and also get a bigger trans cooler fitted, it's better for the fluid and the longevity of your tranny also:yeah:

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 SS V Z Series Manaul Sportwagon
thanks heaps dude...anyone else got any input on this...? Would be greatly appreaciated!

Cheers, Joe :thumbsup:

totq

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8, Raptor S/C
Joe, i agree with immortality.
up here in brisbane, kmart auto can do a quick gearbox oil change without the need to remove the sump, but i would do this AND get them to drop the pan and replace the filter as well.
as immortality said, this process is good because it flushes all the old oil from the converter as well, and you will definitely feel better performance from the tranny afterwards - i service my vr every 2yrs religously.

as for the shift kit, has your motor been worked to extra power?
if not, you may want to reconsider.
if you dont have the power, the shift kits is pointless and you might even be disappointed with the performance.
like immortality said, shift kits are usually installed with performance cams to compliment each other's potential.

hope the info helps.

Thuan.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Something to consider is whether the place that does your service and instals the shift kit (which you provide), will give you any sort of guarantee. From my experience, once you want them to fit something which they have not recommended or sold to you then they say the item is fitted "at your risk".

totq

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8, Raptor S/C
well, that goes without saying - how can you expect someone to gaurantee, which is effectively taking responsibility, for something they did not recommend or supplied??

is no modifying a car "at your own risk" ??