Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leaves in internal fan on VR

A

alexjhobbs

Hi, there are leaves in my VRs internal fan such that it makes an annoying whirring noise when on.

Is getting access to the fan motor a difficult task (ie dashboard removal)? Any pointers would be handy.

Thanks, Alex.

mixin

Ol' fart, young heart!
Reaction score
Pull the glovebox section out, and in front of it you'll see a hood & the fan motor in plain view & I reckon you'll find a business card or old petrol receipt in there.

Just grab a pair of needle-nose pliers & a small screwdriver & go fishing.....

I dunno how many times I've got $25 off a customer to remove a dozen screws & fish crap out of the fan on a VN-VS.....
Easy money for a 10 minute job, and most would happily pay double that to get rid of the annoying noise.....

Just a hint for anyone else - don't put small loose bits of stuff in the glovebox!! Or if you do I can take $25 off you!! :D :D

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I carefully took off the long plastic cover that goes across the wipers at the base of the windscreen and took out the fan resistor and went fishing in the heater box
I used a vacuum cleaner with a piece of tube on it to get to the extremeties of the box.
It took a fair bit of time and I took a fair bit of care not to break anything but I got a lot of **** out of there and fixed the problem I had of water dropping on to the passengers feet when the air was on and the clicking noise of the fan blades hitting sticks or leaves that have fallen in there.

jayseventwo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Wagon
Hi all,

I too have this problem now, and i was wondering - is it easy to remove the glovebox section? Im not in front of my car to have a look, so apologies if this sounds like a stupid question!! If its a bit fiddly, an instruction would be great.

Cheers

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
GT42R forced JZA80 Supra and VT Wagon
Yeah, it's easy. Just open it, there is a pin on the right side in the corner, just lever it out, and slot the glovebox out.

dontsailbackwards

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6 '94
Also - open the air intake flap & stick the vacuum down there - it sucked out half a forest in my VR - aircon blows much harder now.. The intake is on the passenger's side - it just rolls open.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
If anyone is after instructions let me know and Ill try to make some up. It can be a bit tricky if you havent pulled it out before and you do need to remove a fair bit to get to the fan motor. Once you know what to do, you can open it in 10mins.