Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ignition problems or starting problems

Vs-AclaimII

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Series 2
When I try to start the car, the low fan kicks in, but it wont start after the second crank.I've replaced the low fan relay and still kicks in everytime I start the car or attempt.I've changed crank angle sensor, checked the battery terminals there ok.battery is few months old, been to auto elecs, they couldnt find nothing wrong on the fault codes besides the low fan relay code.I checked the wiring where the relays sit in the engine bay, all ok.and I still cant figure it out what it is.been like that for the past 6 months.The car is on dual fuel but do not run it on gas, it used to start fine in petrol and later this year it struggles to start.
:unsure:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Does the lo speed fan still kick in with the relay removed? - (may sound stupid but someone could have hard-wired it). Also the coolant temp sensor may be unserviceable telling the lo speed that the motor is hot all the time.

Vs-AclaimII

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Series 2
The low speed fan doesnt kick in when the relay was removed.Might be the coolant temp sensor.I was told that it could be the regulator?

hkmonaro68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
You sure its not the immobiliser
When you go to crank the car, is the red immobiliser light still flashing,
If so, you have a remote fault, or slip ring immo fault
The car will crank for 1 revolution then wont crank again until the ignition is cycled.
You could try pressing the unlock/lock button on the remote when the key is in the on postion in the ignition.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The regulator controls the alternator output and should have nothing to do with your starting problem unless its due to low charge in your battery. As hkmonaro68 says, it could be your remote....maybe remote battery is low or the slip ring where the key head contacts dirty/not making contact.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
the fan turning on is a good indication that the immo has not disarmed or there is a problem with the serial data system.

Rob

Vs-AclaimII

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Series 2
I just remembered that I changed my coolant sensor last year, maybe it reads the car hot thats why it starts with the fan.because the only thing i get from the fault code is low fan? hako wouldn't suprised me if someone did hard wire it

VSSPak

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VS S Pack
i ahd same problem, mechanic dude said get a new key, done so and it starts killa now