Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Fuel issue and running rough

Sgt Santa Cruz

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Statesman
Im currently in the process of still restoring my 93 V6 auto VR Exec. Long story short got it for 400 bux spent 4,000 on it etc etc and im having a couple of issues i just cant get my head around. this thing eats fuel and i mean eats fuel.
ive lately only gotten round 200km MAX out of a tank of normal suburban driving. and the motor is running real rough.
ive checked and changed:
Spark Plugs
Leads
Fuel Filter
and ive flushed the injectors with a proper injector flush

nothing changed it still spits and spurts at idle has hesitation at times taking off and wants to stall going from drive to reverse
is there anything i have to earth out (terminals) for base idle?? and is there a known problem with this fuel issue. i have also been running a couple of tanks of BP ultimate

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Temp. Sensor (ECU) can cause this trouble, IAC value on your throttle body, check codes!

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Might be worth checking the oxygen sensors too, if you are only getting 200km to a tank then its running rich as.... but as previously mentioned, the temp sensor could be telling the ECU that the engine is a lot colder than it really is. Also check your thermostat, make sure its not stuck open, this will also cause the engine to run cold.

Sgt Santa Cruz

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Statesman
nah the temp gauge doesnt leave the line for normal driving like its hard to warm this thing up! but at traffic lights it warms up no worries specially on hot days and the fans kick in but then cruise again and the temp drops this car does my head in

vr5speed

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr s1 5 speed
change the ecu and see wat happens then or open it and see if it has a chip in it.When u turn the key to the on spot does the engine light come on?

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
nah the temp gauge doesnt leave the line for normal driving like its hard to warm this thing up! but at traffic lights it warms up no worries specially on hot days and the fans kick in but then cruise again and the temp drops this car does my head in

Your thermostat is stuck open, exactly the same symptoms as my parents car, which was only getting 320km out of a tank, all highway driving. Replaced the thermostat, and the heater was hotter, the gauge was reading properly, and basically doubled the mileage out of a tank of fuel.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
another vote for a sticky thermo. other things to check are o2 sensor, temp sensor, fuel pressure reg

Sgt Santa Cruz

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Statesman
Thanks guys ill definatly be getting stuck into the thermo this weekend and let you all knoe how i go
CHEERS

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys ill definatly be getting stuck into the thermo this weekend and let you all knoe how i go
CHEERS

Don't forget the thermostat gasket. You can buy the gasket and thermostat itself from Holden for about $9 or $10.