Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: WHAT COOLANT IS BEST FOR MY ENGINE? help!

  1. #1
    Ride
    '97 VS Commodore + '98 E36

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,361

    Question WHAT COOLANT IS BEST FOR MY ENGINE? help!

    what coolant is BEST for my 1997 VS commodore?
    when i purchased the car it came with no user's manual!
    so i have no idea on what type of recommended engine coolant shoud be used!

    so what is the recommended engine coolant for my engine and what are some quality branded name coolants i can purchase! (list full coolant names.)

    cheers guys!

  2. #2
    Ride
    VS Exec Series II

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by r_i_d_a_h View Post
    what coolant is BEST for my 1997 VS commodore?
    when i purchased the car it came with no user's manual!
    so i have no idea on what type of recommended engine coolant shoud be used!

    so what is the recommended engine coolant for my engine and what are some quality branded name coolants i can purchase! (list full coolant names.)

    cheers guys!
    Just go with the genuine Holden coolant you can get from auto one and other auto stores. It comes premixed. Might be an idea to flush your old system though if you are unsure what is currently in there. I believe even using the same colour coolant can get you in trouble.

    Clacks

  3. #3
    Ride
    VU Storm

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    364

    Default

    go get the nulon concentrate for commodores, falcons and toyota's, its good stuff Im running it in mine now.
    How to be a good Australian Citizen: Drive a Camry, Become another number in the system, Dob in all other numbers for un-numberlike behavior (no matter how slight), Base all your opinions solely on the information provided by T.T. and A.C.A., Believe everything our gracious Government Tells you to.

  4. #4
    TheForgotten's Avatar
    TheForgotten is offline only human......
    Ride
    VR EXEC

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    quarantine
    Posts
    1,372

    Default

    I only use holden brand or tectaloy. but remember with holden brand coolant you need to use pellets aswell to lube the pump seal. they only cost about $5 from holden. tectaloy doesn't need them, as the lube is mixed in
    Quote Originally Posted by MY-42-VT
    if they didn't have that thing between there legs we'd laugh and throw rocks at them
    WTB VR/VS FACTORY HEADUNIT BRACKETS PM ME

  5. #5
    Ride
    MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & VS Exec

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Glen Waverley VIC
    Posts
    1,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clacker View Post
    Just go with the genuine Holden coolant you can get from auto one and other auto stores. It comes premixed. Might be an idea to flush your old system though if you are unsure what is currently in there. I believe even using the same colour coolant can get you in trouble.

    Clacks
    The genuine Holden coolant is a concentrate, and thats the one you need. Just pick it up from a Holden dealer, its about $39 for the 5 litre bottle, and about $12 or so for the 1 litre. Definately a good idea to flush the block and radiator completely before adding in the new coolant. Also, NEVER mix coolants, the chemical properties are different for each one, and can have a bad effect on the cooling system, sometimes even increasing corrosion.

    For the V6 you will need 6 litres of the concentrate, and 6 litres of clean water. The capacity of the system in the VS V6 is 12 litres, which includes radiator, block, hoses etc and the reserve tank.

    The best way I have found of getting all the concentrate in is to make sure your heater is set to full heat, remove the top radiator hose and thermostat, flush radiator, and remove bottom hose, then flush the block by putting the hose into the thermostat opening, and wait until clean water is coming from the bottom radiator hose. Then hook up the bottom radiator hose, pour the entire 5 litre concentrate into the radiator, then put the thermostat back in, bolt it all back together, put another 750mL concentrate into the reserve tank, then just fill the rest of the system with clean water, that way you have the correct 50/50 mix of coolant concentrate and water.

  6. #6
    Doctor Bob's Avatar
    Doctor Bob is offline Grandpa
    Ride
    VT V6 Exec & VN V6 Exec

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mornington Peninsula
    Posts
    2,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheForgotten View Post
    I only use holden brand or tectaloy. but remember with holden brand coolant you need to use pellets aswell to lube the pump seal. they only cost about $5 from holden. tectaloy doesn't need them, as the lube is mixed in

    the pills dont actually lube anything, they are made from crushed walnut shells & the bits float around in the coolant & keep the scale off the rear of the waterpump seal.

    just some useless trivia.lol

    Rob

  7. #7
    Ride
    '97 VS Commodore + '98 E36

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,361

    Default

    i hear its a good idea to replace the thermostat? how much will that cost? lol AND (sounds like a silly question) where is the thermostat of wuheva located in the engine?

    btw. are there any other components that needs replacing while im on the coolant drainin job?

  8. #8
    Ride
    VS S1 Executive V6

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Maroochydore
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by r_i_d_a_h View Post
    i hear its a good idea to replace the thermostat? how much will that cost? lol AND (sounds like a silly question) where is the thermostat of wuheva located in the engine?

    btw. are there any other components that needs replacing while im on the coolant drainin job?
    theres a few good threads on this topic - heres a good one

    changing thermostat


    Something I've Been Getting Into Lately....

    Get Paid To Surf The Internet!

    Program About To Be Released So I Jumped Aboard...

    http://www.agloco.com/r/BBDB3431

  9. #9
    Ride
    2x VS

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stupa View Post
    go get the nulon concentrate for commodores, falcons and toyota's, its good stuff Im running it in mine now.
    I second that... get the 5L Long Life 100% concentrate.... flush your cooling system then use it all in you radiator and top the rest up with distilled water.
    Disclaimer For The Reader ::
    The information I provide is freely given to ONLY help you with thinking on problem solutions. IT IS NOT a "How To Do It Guide".

    If you read ANY of my supplied information and use ANY of it you must accept and agree to do so AT YOUR OWN RISK
    or do not use the information at all
    .

    I accept NO liability if you damage your or anyone elses property or cause any harm to yourself or others with the information provided.
    I am NOT a Mechanic. You have been warned.

  10. #10
    hako is offline Donating Member
    Ride
    VS11 BT1 V6

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Toowoomba SE QLD
    Posts
    7,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bob View Post
    the pills dont actually lube anything, they are made from crushed walnut shells & the bits float around in the coolant & keep the scale off the rear of the waterpump seal.

    just some useless trivia.lol

    Rob
    Steady on there Doctor Bob, they ain't made from just any old walnut shells but extra fine hand-picked ones. My source says they are used to stop small leaks experienced during assembly. Back in the 70's, Jaguar used Barrs pellets in all Jaguars and they were part of the regular service items - trouble was that the pellets (reputably made from pepper) settled to the bottom of the radiator core and slowly but surely blocked the flow of water thru the engine. Cost the company a lot in $$$ and reputation. More useless trivia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Change the engine coolant.(vn,vp,vr?,vs?)
    By ViperVp in forum Holden Commodore How-To's
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 07:51 PM
  2. leak coolant and oil from Engine?
    By andyli in forum VN - VP Holden Commodore (1988 - 1993)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 17-01-2007, 04:04 PM
  3. Leaking engine coolant
    By 2000V8 in forum VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 26-12-2005, 03:04 PM
  4. Flushing Engine Coolant?
    By KILLERVS in forum VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-10-2005, 03:47 PM
  5. Weird Engine Coolant
    By ChRiDDa in forum VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 19-04-2004, 06:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100