Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Error code 46 on VR

Equipe VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Equipe
Hey, can anyone help me? I went to start my car after leaving work (started fine in the morning) and the starter motor was cranking but engine would not start. It's a VR by the way. After several attempts, the engine started with my engine warning light on until I got home and ran an error code check which brought up 46: "no reference signal from ignition module while cranking". I bought the car in september '06 and about once or twice the car has stalled on me while in reverse (auto tranny). Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? I think it could be the crank angle sensor- not exactly sure where this is though!?!?!

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
could be the fuel pump dying?

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Yes i think you could be correct. Crank angle sensor. Normally it will throw a 47, but 46 is saying dfi module. So dfi module could be the problem too. The signal from the crank angle sensor goes to the dfi module, so it could still be the crank angle sensor. So the car did work eventually? If it is the CAS, it will probably die soon, while you are driving. One thing to do though, is take off the connector on the dfi module. The dfi module is the thick plate on the bottom of the coil packs. The connector is screwed on. Take that off and give it a clean with contact cleaner or such, and connect it back up nice and tight. You might be lucky and fix your problem, but probably not. If it does, hey it was a free fix.

If you have a gregory's and a multimeter, you can run through a few tests to find the problem. But you will only be able to fault find while the car wont start.

If you do have a multimeter, just take the coil packs off quickly and measure the resistance. The primary is measured from the bottom side of the coil pack, and should be 0 ohms. The secondary is measured on the top and should measure 5-7k ohms.

A new crank angle sensor is about $55 about $100 to install. A new dfi module is about $200 and you can install yourself. This guy on eBay

item no: 120071187794

is selling the dfi module and coil packs for $100, $15 postage. He says VS V6, but I'm pretty sure it is the same for the VR, you can confirm that with a holder dealer.

Overall though, Crank angle sensor is far more common.

Equipe VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Equipe
Thanks for all the help guys! I will give it all a go and see what happens, haven't tried starting it today so will be interesting to see if it starts!:thumbsup: