Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery WARNING LIGHT

harvs01

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6, with 19' VY Maloo Mags
hello all,

started the car this morning to come to work and noticed the battery warning light was illuminated. i turned the car off then turned back on to see if it would reset itself but it didn't,

whats does the battery warning light indicate (mean) obviously an electrical fault somewhere, will i need to go to holden for them to search my car for errors

any light on the subject would be great

thanks
:bow: :cry:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
normally it indicates a fault with the alternator, normally it means it's not charging and you are running of the battery. also check that the belt hasn't come off the alternator/waterpump cause the engine will run on the battery but without the accesories been driven the engine will overheat.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6

VSBerlina95

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VS Berlina
I've just had the same thing happen on mine then after a day or so I was driving up the road and the car all of a sudden died. At night in the rain of course because if your car is gonna break down thats when its gonna be!

Called RACV and turned out it was the alternator, got a new one and its been fine ever since.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It's usually the brushes that are worn and making intermittent contact with the commutator inside the alternator. A new brush and regulator set is under $50 and takes 10 mins and 2 screws to undo to fix.

harvs01

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6, with 19' VY Maloo Mags
checked the charge of the battery and yep not charging when engine is running, to it to holden for a diagnostic check coz i said the battery warning light was on, they cam back saying that it needs a new alternator and the charging wires (i think thats what they said) are burn out to.

cost all up is $345

bugger
:bang: :bang: :bang:

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Damn you got ripped. Everyone said alternator. Holden arent going to check the codes. Why would they? They can tell using a multimeter what the problem is going to be, and you could have bought 20 multimeters and still had enough left to fix the alternator yourself, for the same price that you paid. Ebay has brand newbies in box for $90, reconditioned for $60. Aw well, as long as your car is working and your happy. Not my money.

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Kind of reinforces the discussion about dealers - you pays the money, you get the fix. If you'd ignored the warning light it could have failed completely in the middle of nowhere and 1AM with the wife on board with labour pains and the mobile with a flat battery.
Dunno if you got ripped off - alt would be $220 and cable about $20 plus fitting/labour and you do get the 12 month warranty.

VSBerlina95

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VS Berlina
Mate $345 thats a serious rip!!
I got exactly the same thing for $200, and it was done on the side of the road by RACV!

Got a mate that works at Holden and he says alternators cost them about $50 and the cables are worth hardly anything, congratulations on your donation to the Holden Fund.

Spose you got the problems fixed at least.

Sambo

Reaction score
I think I m experiencing the same fault. When I switched on my car last week the Battery Light came on my vq for about 10 sec and then dissapeared. This has happend for the past week. I replaced my battery about 5 moths maybe that's the problem? any help will be appreciated!