Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr/vs Immobiliser??

Bob129

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
Hey guys,
Im gettin quotes on my insurance as mine is about to run out, and Just Car say i need an "Australian Standard Immobiliser" to be covered in the event of theft or attempted theft. The in-built immobilise/security in the VS - how the engine is disconnected after 30 secs, and the red secuirty light flashes, etc. etc., does all this count as an Australian Standard Immobiliser? or do i need to go out to Autobarn and pick up a new immobiliser?

Cheers,
Rob

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Who is the insurer? I know AAMI dont require an immobiliser, and I dont think they offer discounts if you do. RACQ offer discounts, but you arent necessarily required. I just havent heard of an insure that requires an immobiliser.

If your insurer is anything like RACQ, they require (as taken from their website):

"A fully operational "after market" car alarm or passively activated vehicle immobiliser fitted to your vehicle by an appropriately qualified supplier".

Have a look on your insurers website, but you will probably find that the basic immobiliser on a VS is probably not up to their standard. The VS immobiliser is easily overridden on a 45 minute timer, so if the theif has 45mins, they can override it pretty easily, although Im sure there are theives out there that can start a VS within mintues.

An aftermarket immobiliser is a bit different. Because the theif does not know what you have installed (probably a good idea not to put any stickers on your car if you do install one) it will be more difficult to override.

Bob129

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
Insurer is Just Car Insurance (branch of AAMI), and i direct quote from...the quote, is "The following Item(s) must be fitted to your car for your car to be covered in the event of theft or attempted theft: Australian Standard Immobiliser."

Im just wondering if the stock standard VS 'Immoboliser' is of Australian Standard, or if i'll have to go out and buy a new after-market one?

Just car is the cheaper insurance by far, and i listed all my mods.

Cheers

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
The current Australian standard is AS/NZS 4601:1999

The 1999 on the end, if im not mistaken, is the year in which it was last revised. Not sure if the factory immobiliser fits into these standards. Someone else may be able to answer this.

Bob129

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
Can anyone help clarify this? I dont want to go to the trouble of buying and installing a new immobiliser if the factory one will suffice!!

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
ask the insurance company, after all they have to approve it in the end.

Rob

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
I'm insured with just car insurance but i don't know about the no immobiliser no cover bit. I have an aftermarket alarm on it though and they were going to insure me without (well that was my understanding). Mine is a Hornet alarm system that autobarn installed that is hooked up to the factory immobiliser. So i use my key to disarm and arm the alarm.

So basically all i'm running is the factory immobiliser with an aftermarket alarm. Maybe get them to clarify what they want, tell them that the VS came out with an immobiliser from factory that is disarmed with the remote unlock/lock feature and the car reading the key when the ignition turned. Good luck with it and let us know how you go.

P.S It may depend on what area you live. If you have a high theft rate in your area then they may require an additional alarm/immobiliser but an area with a low theft rate can mean you can get away with just the factory immobiliser.

Bob129

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
well i asked them, and i got sum ditzy woman...she said if it came with an immobiliser from factory then it was ok, but i mite have to call them up again and double-check, because i dont want my car stolen and then find out im not covered! I'll let you know how i go!
Cheers

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
ask for something from them in writing as to if the factory system is ok.

Rob

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
At this site:http://www.carsafe.com.au/t_09.html
the following is said about what an immobiliser must do (The VS one qualifies):-

An engine immobiliser is an electronic device that interrupts the power supply to two or more systems required to start a vehicle's engine, that is the fuel pump, starter motor or ignition (see diagram). Unless the correct electronic signal is provided to the system by the ignition key, or a unique transponder or coded plug, the vehicle will not start. The system is de-activated by a constantly changing signal that is virtually impossible to 'crack'.

All immobilisers fitted under the Immobilise Now! program comply with the Australian/New Zealand Standard for Vehicle Immobilisers (AS/NZS 4601:1999, amended in 2003). This ensures that the immobiliser cannot be easily overcome by thieves and will not affect the safe operation of your vehicle. The standard also ensures that the immobiliser is automatically activated when you turn off the ignition. All you have to do is take your keys and lock your doors.