Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help!!! Putting fuel tank back in with new breather hoses..

Kartbro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline Ute
Hi All, Can someody help me out with the routing of the new breather hoses, I have two hoses coming off the tank itself, two from the top of the filler neck, one hose to the charcoal cannister, and four at the junction on the filler neck! Help! Is there an overflow hose? If so where does this come from? (This would explain the extra port i seem to have!)

Thanks!:thumbsup:

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
i used to have a diagram showing where each hose goes, but must have lost it... just go to holden and ask for a printout, that's all I did. should be free.

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
The over flow hose goes from the top of the filler neck, down through the rear chassis rail and onto the top of tank.

Enjoy friggin around with a typical stupid Holden design idea.....

Kartbro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline Ute
VR Commodore Breather Hose How-to.

Breather hose How-to for VR:

Drive until the tank is near empty!
Undo the wiring from the front of the tank. Also undo the fuel hoses (Not 100% neccessary unless but you want to clean the tank while its out), otherwise bend open the metal straps holding the metal fuel lines to the car, to allow the hoses to move down with the tank.

Remove the panel at the back of the Drivers side rear wheelarch. (Need stubby phillips) It will reveal the filler neck assembly.

Next, loosen the filler neck at the rubber hose that joins it to the tank. (I left my filler neck in throughout the process but you could take it out for cleaning) Pull off the two breather lines that attach to the bottom of the junction box that lead to the tank.

Put two jacks under the fuel tank between the straps. Try to positon for best weight distribution. (on diagonal ends of the tank) Wind the jacks up until they contact the tank.

Undo the two straps at the rear with a 17mm ratchet or spanner. (No need to undo the front of the strap it just makes life harder!) They will peel from the tank. Start lowering the jacks until the tank is being stopped by the filler neck connection. A bit of brute downward force will dislodge the tank. Lower the jacks further until the whole tank is free. At this point i pulled the jacks out from underneath and slid the tank out on the straps.

I poured the remaining fuel in the tank into a jerry can, (with assistance) and used some to clean the exterior of the tank. Make sure the filler connection is very clean. (No dirt in tank on reassembly, this is why the tank was completely removed...). Pour some petrol back into the tank, and shake it around inside to dislodge any crap inside. (Assistant comes in handy here too) Pour it all out and repeat.

Clean the filler neck and replace the breathers on it. There are 3 connections at the top of the spout. Two of them go straight to the top of the junction box. The other goes to the Evaporative Emmisions Control System. (Sucks up petrol vapours and burns em...) This is one of the three metal pipes running the length of the car, two go to the fuel tank, the other should terminate somewhere near the filler neck.

By this stage the tank should be ready for installation... You will now also need 1 metre of thick hose. I couldnt get any of the stuff holden used so i used some heater hose. Apparently this will handle fuel. (Guy at Bursons told me so it has to be true!!)

Attach some more than long enough lengths of small and large breather hose to the tank. Slide the tank in on the straps. Feed hoses through the chassis rail. Put your lowered jacks in underneath the tank.

Raise the tank slowly and make sure the hoses are feeding through the chassis correctly. Make sure the filler neck is mating with the tank correctly :D (Lube helps here!) Everything should go up nicely. Make sure the hoses arent crushed by the pads on the top of the tank.

There is a slot in the seam of the tank at the rear on the drivers side. There is a small tab from the chassis that slides into it and guides the tank into place. Refit the straps loosely and remove the jacks. Check your filler neck is in place and tighten it to the tank. Check for correct fitting through the filler hole also. Tighten the tank straps.

Reattach hoses and wiring to the front of the tank. Cut the loose breather hoses to length, add a little extra to allow shrinkage over time. Attach to the bottom of the juncton box. Cut the thick hose to length and attach to the top of the filler neck. Replace the inspection panel in the wheelarch. Bend back the metal straps holding the fuel lines (if you loosened them) Put about 15 litres of fresh fuel into the tank and check the filler isn't leaking. Turn the key to ignition and back a few times to prime the fuel system. Job done :thumbsup: Good luck.

Hope I remembered it all!