Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering a VS Commodore

pano

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am going to lower my V6 VS commodore and I was just wondering if someone could tell me exactly what parts I will need to change or put on to do the job right. Obviously I'll need the springs and a camber kit for when it's all done. Thanks

pano

Reaction score
I was going to get the superlow springs as I don't have a kit on the car and wasn't intending on putting one on. I'm not actually sure if it has IRS. Better check. I was told yesterday to change my front struts. Also they recon that when you lower them the rear wheels move across so when you hit bumps the tyre hits the side of the guards. They told me to get some bar to put in that you can adjust and move the whole axle across to stop that. Don't know if its true or not as this was a guy from an auto shop so could've been just trying to sell me stuff I don't need.

Shane1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL SL
Yea, you will need to get an adjustable panard rod for the rear end. The panard rod keeps the diff in line and centerd. When you lower it, it will push the diff to the right making it rub the inside gaurd. Get an adjustable rod and your set.:thumbsup: Also I'm semi-new to the VS model so WTF is IRS????

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
You also need shorten rear shocks.

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
if its irs (independent rear suspension) you'll probably need a camber kit and if it the solid axle you'll probably need an adjustable panhard rod.

greenness

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Vs 3.8L Wagon
i got low king springs in mine with low monro shocks, and my car still scraps on stuff so just be careful you dont go to low, i dont have a adj panhard rod and my car is fine, so yer, it all depends on the car i guess

pano

Reaction score
Cheers everyone for ya help. Guess I'l have to see what happens with the rear wheels to see if I need the panhard rod. Thanks again

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The amount that the diff moves sideways is minimal. It would move regardless of whether you lowered it or not. The travel of the suspension will put it in the same position as when it is lowered anyway. If you don't have any issues with the tyre rubbing on the guard with passengers in the back then it's probably not necessary to get an adjustable panhard rod. When you get a wheel alignment done that will correct the geometry if they know what they are doing.