Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharger belt fell off. What the?!?!

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Weird thing happened tonight. I went to put the car in the garage just a few minutes ago and to my surprise when I open the garage door I see my supercharger belt laying on the ground. I was rather shocked as I'd driven to work and home again, and later to the shops. A total of maybe 60k's without the belt. Don't know how it came off as it's still in one piece but just a little frayed on one edge about 4cm long. Any chance I could have caused any damage without running the s/c belt?

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
na it wouldnt have hurt anything. but i would check under the bonnet for physical damage in the front of the engine bay, but you would have heard it if it fell of whilst driving?

EDIT: if its still in one peice, check all the sc pullys, one of the pullys might need replacing, usually they only fall off if they fray&snap or overstretch.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Thanks dude. I didn't even realise it had come off until I saw it sitting on the garage floor. Car still drove great without it.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
yeah, superchargers actually take away power before they make it. the m90 uses a bypass valve on light throttle anyway so unless u planted it wouldnt have been much noticable. the fact that it fell off while in your garage is a bit strange but

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
slipped off overnight?

skootaroo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS wagon
I guess you have spun your SC by hand to check it rotates!

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
make sure the s/c pulley aligns with the belt and other pulleys. So its not sitting too far back or to the front.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
My guess would be a bearing on one of the pulleys has collapsed causing the mis-alignment.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
My guess would be a bearing on one of the pulleys has collapsed causing the mis-alignment.

Abba_Fan, you're kind of right. Had a look at it when I got home from work and it looks like the bearing basically exploded. The front pulley on the 'modular' or dual pulley is totally missing. Looked all around the garage and couldn't find it though. As you can see in both of the pics attached some of the ball bearings have lodged into the pulley directly behind it. Can someone inform me what this pulley is called so when I call Holden tomorrow I can explain to them what I'm after.

Let this be a lesson to you all kids! When you notice that you have a noisy bearing and there is play in the pulley, replace it straight and don't keep putting it off like I did. :bang:

Attachments

• Pulley1.jpg
    Pulley1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 615
  • Pulley3.jpg
    Pulley3.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 823

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
pretty sure it's just an idler pulley, but when you go into holden, they'll have a pic on the computer, just show them which pulley you need